Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

What "type" of AV flower is this?

plantomaniac08
10 years ago

I purchased this Optimara AV at a grocery store today. I'm a bit of a novice and despite looking online, I can't find what "type" of AV flower this is. The purple is showing up a bit darker in the picture than it really is in person. Unless my eyes deceive me, I am counting eight petals total.

Thanks,
Planto

Comments (12)

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Optimara.com Go to "variety Identification" to find a match! Good luck! JoAnne

• irina_co
    10 years ago

The shape of the flower is a semi-double pansy. The pattern on the bottom 3 petals is a thumbprint, narrow petals and asymmetry of the blossom reminds me of the wasp type flower.

Looks like Optimara 'Hiroshige" to me.

I think Optimara calls the color pattern bi-color - which is generic to everything that is not a single color.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

JoAnne,
    Thanks for the advice. I did go to their website, but I was hoping I could narrow my search down by the type of flower.

Planto

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irina,
    I didn't see your message, we were typing at the same time it seems, hehe. Thanks for the detailed description.

Well, I'll be darned, it is "Hiroshige"! Thanks so much for the ID.

Planto

• irina_co
    10 years ago

It can be gorgeous - or it can be bleached to so-so. Depends on a plant you get. Right now - it is a pale version. Hopefully with home care it will brighten up.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irina,
    Thanks again. I noticed two different pictures of 'Hiroshige' on Optimara's website and they looked like two different plants! Your comment explains the reason for that; I didn't know it could have such a variation in color. Hopefully it will have the color of the one picture some day, it looks like someone took a paintbrush to the flowers. I think I've fallen in love.

If it doesn't become so colorful and stays this "pale version," at least it's not something I've seen before. I'm sort of fascinated by the type of flower it has to be honest. Maybe that's just me being an AV novice lol. I've never heard of "wasp" before today, that's my "you learn something new every day." Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Planto

• irina_co
    10 years ago

The day when you see that there is nothing new there - it is a time to set a new challenge. Otherwise the interest dies.
    You figure out the basics - then you want to show best plants - then you want to judge - or to hybridize - or grow other gessies...

Keeps us young ;-))

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irina,
    This is true. On a related note, I knew someone in college who said that the best minds never stop learning.

Planto

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Planto,

Do a search for African violet wasp images. There are lots of examples of that type of bloom.

Linda

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda,
    Thanks. I did look up some images yesterday after Irina had pointed out "wasp" flowers. Some of the images were... interesting to say the least. I guess it's time for me to find a new book on Houseplants. Mine has a detailed description of the types of leaves, flowers, and sizes of AVs, but didn't mention wasp. Now that I look at it... my book is from the early 90s. Goodness.

Planto

• ultra_violet
    10 years ago

@Planto: Optimara recently came out with a reference booklet that might interest you. It details different flower and leaf types, history, care, etc. I've put the link below. You can peruse it online or download and print the PDF to read at your leisure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Optimara Basic Guide to African Violets

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ultra_violet,
    Ooo, how nice! Thank you for sharing that! I will have to save it for future reference.

Planto

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner