Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What "type" of AV flower is this?

Posted by plantomaniac08 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 13:19

I purchased this Optimara AV at a grocery store today. I'm a bit of a novice and despite looking online, I can't find what "type" of AV flower this is. The purple is showing up a bit darker in the picture than it really is in person. Unless my eyes deceive me, I am counting eight petals total.

Thanks,
Planto

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What "type" of AV flower is this?

Optimara.com Go to "variety Identification" to find a match! Good luck! JoAnne

o

The shape of the flower is a semi-double pansy. The pattern on the bottom 3 petals is a thumbprint, narrow petals and asymmetry of the blossom reminds me of the wasp type flower.

Looks like Optimara 'Hiroshige" to me.

I think Optimara calls the color pattern bi-color - which is generic to everything that is not a single color.

o

JoAnne,
Thanks for the advice. I did go to their website, but I was hoping I could narrow my search down by the type of flower.

Planto

o

Irina,
I didn't see your message, we were typing at the same time it seems, hehe. Thanks for the detailed description.

Well, I'll be darned, it is "Hiroshige"! Thanks so much for the ID.

Planto

o

It can be gorgeous - or it can be bleached to so-so. Depends on a plant you get. Right now - it is a pale version. Hopefully with home care it will brighten up.

o

Irina,
Thanks again. I noticed two different pictures of 'Hiroshige' on Optimara's website and they looked like two different plants! Your comment explains the reason for that; I didn't know it could have such a variation in color. Hopefully it will have the color of the one picture some day, it looks like someone took a paintbrush to the flowers. I think I've fallen in love.

If it doesn't become so colorful and stays this "pale version," at least it's not something I've seen before. I'm sort of fascinated by the type of flower it has to be honest. Maybe that's just me being an AV novice lol. I've never heard of "wasp" before today, that's my "you learn something new every day." Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Planto

o

The day when you see that there is nothing new there - it is a time to set a new challenge. Otherwise the interest dies.
You figure out the basics - then you want to show best plants - then you want to judge - or to hybridize - or grow other gessies...

Keeps us young ;-))

o

Irina,
This is true. On a related note, I knew someone in college who said that the best minds never stop learning.

Planto

o

Planto,

Do a search for African violet wasp images. There are lots of examples of that type of bloom.

Linda

o

Linda,
Thanks. I did look up some images yesterday after Irina had pointed out "wasp" flowers. Some of the images were... interesting to say the least. I guess it's time for me to find a new book on Houseplants. Mine has a detailed description of the types of leaves, flowers, and sizes of AVs, but didn't mention wasp. Now that I look at it... my book is from the early 90s. Goodness.

Planto

o

@Planto: Optimara recently came out with a reference booklet that might interest you. It details different flower and leaf types, history, care, etc. I've put the link below. You can peruse it online or download and print the PDF to read at your leisure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Optimara Basic Guide to African Violets

o

ultra_violet,
Ooo, how nice! Thank you for sharing that! I will have to save it for future reference.

Planto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here