Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericapayne_gw

spray-n-grow-superthrive question

ericapayne
13 years ago

Does anyone use these with good results on african violets?

I use the superthrive to soak leaves in for a bit before planting them but I was curious if anyone has used it on a regular basis to water their violets?

If so, does it help, cause more suckers, or nothing?

I use Dyna-Gro/Dyna-Bloom on my violets in the oyama planters and it works great, I know they have trace elements/minor nutrients but didn't know if the spray-n-grow or superthrive in addition to the dyna products would be overkill....anybody have any theories or experiences to share?

Thanks,

Erica

Comments (3)

• irina_co
    13 years ago

I use DynaGro plus Epsom salt. I used Superthrive for years - and do not use it now - and I do not see very much difference on how they grow and bloom. What I see is the difference between summer - when I use airconditioner condensate for watering - and winter when I use city water. Looks like a combination of DynaGro and distilled water makes plants grow like crazy - and slow down on a regular water.

It would be interesting if you take 3 starters- same variety, same size - and use one for control - and other ones for Spray-n-grow and
    Superthrive add-ons.

Thing is - we do diferent things - I for example use a bit of worm castings to add to my soil - so I am already adding stimulants.

My guess that both Spray-n-grow (I am not familiar with it) and Superthrive use kelp extract as a growth stimulant..

I cannot say that Superthrive increase suckering in my experience. Some plants are suckering more than others by genetics, and everything suckers as a result of stress. You break the stability of the conditions - let the plants go bone dry - and in a month you will have suckers popping everywhere.

If you take on yourself to do the test - we all are waiting anxiously for the results.

Irina

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

I have never used Superthrive on AVs, but i have used it on other stuff. In my experience, it doesnt do anything significantly different. I usually disregard miracal cures, and not just for plants. I know it wont hurt them though, and even if it does unnoticable amounts of good things for plants, well at least it does something,

• irina_co
    13 years ago

irina_co z5 CO (My Page) on Fri, Feb 11, 11 at 21:13

Andrew -

my best guess is that Superthrive will increase the amount of babies from the leaf and probably improve the rooting of the leaf.

On the other side - the oldtimers and winners of AVSA conventions say - you need to do foliar feeding (and add aged manure to the soil) to grow a really large and very floriferous winner plant.

So = probably for the amateur without ambitions to grow a wagon wheel size plant with hundreds of blooms just for the time of the Show - we all are OK.

I know rose growers who swear by Superthrive - and it is probably fine touch that gives your rose the winning edge when compared with no less gorgeous competition.

I