Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink African Violets from Gurneys Feed & Seed

Posted by winnatay 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 13:39

Hi,
I know this is a long shot but has anyone ever bought an African Violet from Gurneys Feed & Seed Company? A very long time ago I had one that was a double pink and was shimmerly. I would love to find it again but I can't remember the name of it. It had solid green leaves and was beautiful. If I remember right the name started with a T.
I don't think Gurneys sells African Violets anymore. My mother-in-law bought it at Gurneys in Yankton, SD and gave it to me.
Thanks,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink African Violets from Gurneys Feed & Seed

Linda -

you are right - they do not sell AVs any more.

But there are so many double pinks with green leaves - you sure can order oodles of them. Check with Lyndonlyon.com.

Good Luck

Irina

o

Irina,
They do have beautiful AV's. It is hard to choose. Thanks for the info.
Linda

o

Linda- choose 12 pink ones! You need to catch up for time you didn't grow them.

I.

o

Irina,
LOL, wish I had the room.

Linda

o

You can always find room. :)

Linda

o

Tupelo (Volkmann) Double bright pink. Dark green, plain. Standard (TX Hyb)
Touche (6452) 12/23/1986 (Eyerdom) Double pink-orchid/red fantasy on edge. Olive green, quilted, glossy/red back. Standard

Since you asked for a long shot I opened FC2 and searched names starting with T - double pink/green foliage (shimmerly doesn't seem to be a key it recognizes :) and looked for greenhouse names from the old days...my best guess!

o

Regarding Lyndon Lyon's violets, ... I've had wonderful success with them, ... they're healthy, and primed to grow and bloom.

As for his pinks ...

Irish Iridescence is beautiful, shimmery, semi-double pink, with variegated foliage.

Irish Iridescence

Also ... Pink Summit ... wonderful grower/bloomer ...

Pink Summit

o

Maybe you could contact Gurney's and see if they have any record of violets they used to sell?

o

lilypad22,
I didn't think of that. I will try it. It's been many many years ago but who knows maybe they will have those records. Can't hurt to try can it.

Thanks

o

aegis,

Great pics, I'll have to look for those two, just beautiful.
Lonnie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here