Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky15349

No color on blooms

becky15349
10 years ago

Hi guys! I just have a question. I have a few avs that are reblooming, and they are dark purple avs, one dark pink, one splashy purple...except now they are reblooming with white blooms, very crinkled blooms that look sad and veery little show of any colors on the petals. All of them are doing this, which makes me think that I am giving them too much light. What do you think? I grow in a windowsill, but they are shaded well...

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Becky,

How cold is your windowsill? I'm in zone 6b and the cold has been severe. You're in zone 5 so I know yours is as bad or worse.

Linda

• cookie_grow
    10 years ago

They may be receiving too much light and nighttime temps as Linda mentioned maybe too cold.

Cooks.

• becky15349
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think you guys may be right. They are on racks a southern facing window so, but it does get cold at night. They are also well shaded it just seemed so bright no matter what I do. The only window exposure I have in my house is south facing. It's so frustrating! I am thinking of just getting a small desk lamp set up up. I don't have the space for fluorescent bulbs.thank you for your help

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Becky,

Try moving your plants at night as long as we continue to have this cold weather. Put them back in the daytime and then watch to see how they do. Your south facing window should not be a problem as long as they are shaded (and not too hot) in the summer. During the winter this exposure may be warmer than others which is good. Window grown violets generally will take as much light (not sun) as you can give them.

I think your problem is the weather. Hopefully, it will warm up soon!

Linda

As I drive home from Louisville in a snowstorm, on ice-covered roads, with stranded cars everywhere.

This post was edited by whitelacey on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 2:56

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Linda
    Hope you get home safely and are warm again
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

Thanks! We made it home safely but it was a slow go! Came home to 8 more inches of snow and it's snowing again. It's a good thing I have my orchids and violets to see me through this mess!

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, glad you are back with your orchids and violets.
    Joanne

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County