Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My crown Fell off

Posted by nickz_grower WA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 14, 10 at 14:20

My crown fell off of my African Violet. It looks as there are still roots but just that many. Can I save the plant? Can I just replant what is left of the roots under the crown? Will the roots continue to grow if I try to grow them in water? Any thoughts would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My crown Fell off

When a crown falls off, or rots away, it is from crown rot or root rot. Take the plant out from the pot, check the color of the roots. If they are brown, it is likely root root.

If you have root root, you will need to make new roots meaning taking off all the roots you have presently. Some people clean the stub like a carrot and replant, hoping for new roots to develop. Add a plastic sack for humidity. Forget the crown for awhile and think about making roots. If the roots develop, tiny suckers will develop in the crown area. You can allow two or more to grow and t ake the crowns to make new plants or make one crown your main crown for that plant. It is often quicker to get a nice looking plant by taking one of the crowns to develop.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here