Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_kc

Favorite Variety? Please post pics!

susan_kc
11 years ago

Hello everyone!
I am just getting back into violets after a longish hiatus. I am working on a wish list and wondered if you all could post your favorite varieties. I am looking for really great bloomers, not necessarily just the showiest flowers. If you have a pic of your favorite violet in bloom, I would love to see it!

I currently have just three named varieties: Emerald City, Ness' Fantasy Gold, and Always Pink (trailer).

Thanks and hope to see lots of lovely violet suggestions and pics!!!

Susan

Comments (58)

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

Here is a setup I have ...

I don't use the pre-fab setups. I light my plants with CFL Fluorescents in floor, table, desk and clip-on lamps.

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

Here is another setup.

Most of my plants are fairly new. I had to ditch 135+ plus plants last year due to Broad Mite infestation.

Hoping for a lot of bloom this spring ...

• perle_de_or
    11 years ago

Kissaway Trail is my current favorite. This is still a young plant and its first bloom. It has gorgeous satin-y leaves and the blooms are much prettier in person, they have more subtle varigation in color than the photo shows.

• susan_kc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you again everyone so much for sharing!

Aegis500, where do you order your plants? I love Violet Barn violets, but they are so expensive.

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Pixie Blue.

{{gwi:359959}}

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Larry - you are the only one who can grow this thing so nicely!

I.

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Thank you Irina!

Larry

• tnferguson
    11 years ago

Larry,

Your Pixie Blue is beautiful! Nice growing!

Here's a photo of my favorite semi-miniature hybrid. I don't have a picture of this plant in bloom, however I love the variegation on the foliage.

Dean's Silver Veil (8684) 01/28/1998 (C. Hobbs/H. Hobbs) Single-semidouble silver-blue lavender pansy/darker veining, overlay. Variegated green, pink and white, ovate. Semiminiature (TX Hyb)

{{gwi:359960}}

My favorite miniature hybrid is Shirl's Red Sky -

Shirl's Red Sky (9374) 09/30/2004 (S. Sanders) Single light red pansy/white eye. Variegated dark green and pink, pointed. Miniature (TX Hyb)

{{gwi:359962}}

-Tim

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

{{gwi:359964}}

• seaj
    11 years ago

This one isn't all that special, but it's my favorite of the 5 varieties that I currently have. It is a Rhapsodie Michelle by Optimara I believe. This is the original mother plant blooming after I removed 3 large suckers. She herself is not very pretty, but she just loves to hide herself in pink blooms every 2 to three months. The three suckers on the other hand display perfect symmetrical growth and have all started to bloom, though not as profusely.

The first sucker that bloomed was given to my father. He brought it to church and someone actually stole it from him. I'm now in the process of putting down leaves so I can can have even more of theses plants as backups should the thief try to steal again.

{{gwi:359965}}

Excuse the toilet. She live in a bathroom that receives northeast light through a blurry double paned window.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

What a great bloomer!

Toilet is good - it gives extra humidity!

I.

• susan_kc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just gorgeous! Do you do anything special to get that many blooms, or is it just a really good bloomer?

• georgiapeach365
    11 years ago

aegis500 ... wondering why you have the violet pots sitting in those larger saucers. Is this the wick method of watering? Please forgive me for asking. I'm new to violets and this looks like a great set up!

• seaj
    11 years ago

I'm think the plant is just a really good bloomer, although the last two times that it bloomed were not as floriferous. The bloom cycle pictured above was during last summer so at the time the plant was getting more light and probably loved all the extra humidity (no heater on + more frequent showers). Since then the plant has been on the same windowsill, but has been shifted to the side with a black mesh screen dimming the light. The plant is very pot bound and I have pretty much never groomed the plant of any ugly, old or extra leaves, though I did remove a row of leaves about a month ago. I think all those leaves help supply energy for blooming. I grow my plants in semi- hydro and I feed them Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro 9-3-6 at 128-177 ppm Nitrogen (which is way too much now that I think about it).

Here is picture. Of the same plant 20 days before the above pic was taken last July.
    {{gwi:359966}}
    Here is a picture of the plant today (fading blooms w/ potential seed pods) with two of the suckers I removed from the plant. As shown, the mother plant isn't in great shape, but she's my favorite. Both of the grown suckers are sending up their first flowers now so I'll see how they perform compared to their mother.
    {{gwi:359967}}

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

georgiapeach ...

I don't do wicking ... or use self-watering pots.

Just regular old-fashioned hand watering of individual pots where the saucers catch the watering overflow. Of course, any excess water must be emptied from the saucers shortly after watering to avoid root rot and the possible death of the AV's.

• perle_de_or
    11 years ago

Now that she's blooming, I have realized I am crazy about Optimara Little Ottawa Girl. So now I have another favorite. This is a fantastic plant, a semi-mini.

• seaj
    11 years ago

Perle, I did some googling and it turns out I have a Little Ottawa Girl too. I've knocked it around a bit so it hasn't bloomed reliably, but the leaves alone are really beautiful. The last time mine bloomed last summer a few of the flowers were a very intense pink. Thanks for the ID.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi SeaJ
    Responding to an older post about Michele by Optimara
    that you have done so well with. I think your photos
    are beautiful. I just ordered that plant from Selective.
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 21:17

• seaj
    10 years ago

Thanks Joanne. I have never heard of Orchard Gardens, but I did get my plants from the San Francisco flower mart. They were very cheap and selection included minis as well. I have wanted to order plants from their site, but the prices are so high. Thankfully Optimara has a mailing list that sends a weekly newsletter that includes a list of local stores that received recent shipments of plants. I just signed up for it and I'm waiting for my first email. They also updated their list of retailers on their site, but some of the local stores that were just added are no longer in business. I often see Michelle in stores when violets are available. I find that this plant suffers greatly when given too much light. At the time when I took the above pictures the plants were growing on a northeast facing windowsill. I recently moved the plants back under a single fluorescent bulb after trying an unobstructed east facing window for a few weeks. They got too much light and started to tighten up so they look like this now, but the exposure triggered blooms. The blooming plant on top has 9 budded stems.

{{gwi:359968}}

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Seaj, The new photo of the mother Michele
    and the other plants from it look great. It is one
    of the Rhapsodie series. They are quite floriferous
    and seem to get more so with maturity.
    That was too bad that someone stole your Dad's
    plant! Especially from church! I often give plants
    as gifts.
    Cheers!
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 19:16

• terrilou
    10 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks to you Joanne for your info on Selective Gardener. I didn't know you could pick your plants; I thought it was just their choice. I have several Optimaras but can't always find the ones I want around here, so I may try to order a selection. . . in the spring that is when I have room. Ha!

I have used the Watermaids with much success. You just have to be certain your medium actually touches the pad. Sometimes, I add a wick or a strip of panty hose. Glad to know they are back in stock. I may order a few more.

Terri

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

2 of mine are (and they never stop blooming!):

"Stickey Wicket":

{{gwi:359969}}

And "Fancy Trail":

{{gwi:359970}}

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Terrilou
    Yes! It was Selective Gardener who told me
    that! She is so helpful.
    I really wanted to get Michele and Cora, thanks to this
    forum!
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 19:38

• seaj
    10 years ago

The room that my violets now live in is poorly insulated and therefore much cooler so that must be why the blooms are much deeper than normal. The photos are not that accurate to begin with thanks to my not so great phone.

Now that I know it's possible to request specific varieties that are in production, I may just need to place an order for some plants and plugs. There are many varieties that I must have! I have yet to find anything from the Everfloris or MyViolet lines in stores. I also want a Neverfloris and some minis. The shopping cart I put together totaled over $100. It's probably cheaper that running around to all the stores to find the exact plants I want in the long run, but I don't have that kind of money right now. I would probably order an 8 pack right now if I could also include mini plants and Everfloris plugs among the selection.

Dyna Gro fertilizers are all urea free which is why it works so well for plants grown semi-hydroponically. It's all I've ever used for my plants and the seem to like it enough.

I do not currently belong to a club, though I want to attend the local sales next year since I missed all the ones this season.

I would like to see your Michelle once it adjusts to your conditions. My plant looks nothing like it did when I first got it, but thankfully the blooms remain the same.

• terrilou
    10 years ago

Although I often find regular Optimaras in different stores, Lowes is the only place I have seen the Everfloris. I definitely keep an eye open for them when snooping around for plants.

Terri

• ultra_violet
    10 years ago

@Terri & Seaj: I searched all over the multiple Optimara sites (optimara.com, optimara.info, etc) and still can't find where to sign up for the local shipments email alerts. Most sites don't make marketing so elusive! Would you please post the link for me? Thanks.

• seaj
    10 years ago

Ultra Violet, you can make an account at MyViolet.com to sign up for the alerts. I heard about it on their Facebook page. Like Joanne mentioned, they also keep track of which varieties are currently in production on that site. I have yet to get an alert, but I'm excited because I have a Lowe's and a Walmart within walking distance. The Walmart isn't listed in their directory though, but I've seen Optimaras there before. Neither is the local Trader Joe's or Home Depot, but at least I have options.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Seaj,

I have Neverfloris coming out of my ears! The leaves are very productive. You are welcome to one, (or two or three)if you would like. Let me know and I will send you one, (or two or three). It's a pretty cool plant!

Linda

• seaj
    10 years ago

Linda, that would be great if you did! I have certainly never seen Neverfloris in stores, nor do I think I ever will since they seem to appeal to only true collectors.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Seaj,

I'll check tomorrow and let you know. I know I just potted some up. I'll see if they are big enough for shipping.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

What a cool conversation this is!!! Seaj, my Monique
    is the same color as your photo in daylight. In the
    fluorescent light, it looks different. I'll post a photo
    once it settles in.
    Seaj, why not just reduce your order to try out a few
    and see what you think of getting them by mail?
    Even though the MyViolet page says they are
    available, she might not have them in stock right
    at the moment.
    The description of the Everfloris said they grow large,
    so I did not get a plug. If you call Monique, she will
    let you know which ones she has in plugs.

Your hydroponic method sounds fascinating, I noticed
    the tall containers and wondered what they are.
    I might try that brand of fert. and method some day.

Thanks to all who shared on this thread, I enjoy
    your comments.
    Joanne

• seaj
    10 years ago

Linda, you can send leaves or just a crown if you wish. I really have no skill when it comes to watering plants in soil, so there's no need to send a potted plantlet. I have had a lot of success when it comes to rooting suckers and leaves in semi-hydro.

Joanne, this conversation has been great indeed. I really don't like to pay for shipping so I generally like to order multiple items to make the most of the shipping fees. I will definitely call if I decide to place an order. Aside from the blooms, the large wavy foliage looks amazing. I would need to make some serious space for such huge plants. My current plants are grown in 10 oz plastic cups. They are tall to allow extras space for the built in reservoir, though I plan on experimenting with wicks and external reservoirs in the future. For my other house plants I use 32 ounce deli containers. This method is very similar to hydro culture, and I think that it's especially great for any plant that requires constant even moisture. The fertilizer is very highly recommended by Al at the Container Gardening forum.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

HI Seaj,
    It is good to know about the Container
    Gardening Forum. Always interesting to see
    different methods of growing! The Neverfloris
    seems like such a curiosity and novelty.
    I am so glad to read that Linda, you have it,
    as someone has to try it!
    Seaj, I know what you mean about postage. When
    a bunch of us ordered from an office, we had the
    box come to the office. We saved a lot that way.
    It was also exciting to see a huge box arrive,
    even if they weren't all for me!
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

There are few things more exciting than a new box full of plants with your name on it.

Linda

• 1beautylover2012
    10 years ago

Gosh, it's very difficult to answer - I don't have plants that I don't like. But! Of course I have some I like more, that the others.
    Buckeye Seductress: I have a good line of this type - it's blooming all the time and have white dots on the petals. I spoke about it with Pat Hanckok and she said she never seen it. Here it is
    {{gwi:359971}}
    I love Okie Easter Bunny - good bloomer, nice foliage
    src="http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t680/Polina_G_A/Okie%20Ester%20Bunny/07_zpsa1268bba.jpg"; border="0" alt=" photo 07_zpsa1268bba.jpg"/>

Optimara Tennessee - all Optimara plants are good bloomers with nice foliage

{{gwi:359973}}

April in Paris - for those who loves big plants - gorgeous flowers and nice foliage

{{gwi:359975}}

Nightfall - bright dark blue (the color on pics is right color) big double flowers and nice foliage. I don't keep plants if they don't shape good foliage itself

{{gwi:359977}}

{{gwi:359980}}

I have to run now. I'll add more pics later if you want.
    Polina.

• 1beautylover2012
    10 years ago

Gosh, it's very difficult to answer - I don't have plants that I don't like. But! Of course I have some I like more, that the others.
    Buckeye Seductress: I have a good line of this type - it's blooming all the time and have white dots on the petals. I spoke about it with Pat Hanckok and she said she never seen it. Here it is
    {{gwi:359971}}
    I love Okie Easter Bunny - good bloomer, nice foliage
    src="http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t680/Polina_G_A/Okie%20Ester%20Bunny/07_zpsa1268bba.jpg"; border="0" alt=" photo 07_zpsa1268bba.jpg"/>

Optimara Tennessee - all Optimara plants are good bloomers with nice foliage

{{gwi:359973}}

April in Paris - for those who loves big plants - gorgeous flowers and nice foliage

{{gwi:359975}}

Nightfall - bright dark blue (the color on pics is right color) big double flowers and nice foliage. I don't keep plants if they don't shape good foliage itself

{{gwi:359977}}

{{gwi:359980}}

I have to run now. I'll add more pics later if you want.
    Polina.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Lina,

I have 'Nightfall' and it is a beauty. I'd like to see more of your pictures when you get the chance.

Linda

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Lina,

I have 'Nightfall' and it is a beauty. I'd like to see more of your pictures when you get the chance.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Seaj, I was looking at the foliage on your plants again,
    they look perfect. It must be the method you use
    that causes the plants to look so healthy and well-
    hydrated. The foliage is a very nice shade of green.

Polina, Wow, your plants and photos are beautiful.
    I just got Tennessee from Optimara n the mail, it
    looks like it is still adjusting. So I am glad to see
    a photo of its true potential.

Linda, Polina, I like Nightfall as I would like to get
    one that looks "True Blue." (I have a large blue,
    but under fluorescent light, it looks purple.)
    Do you recall who is the hybridizer? I have not
    heard of Nightfall before. Does the foliage remain
    "standard" or does it grow large?
    Joanne

• 1beautylover2012
    10 years ago

Joanne, it's not a small standard, but not large. Very nice foliage and flowers, you'll love it.

• Zukoll
    10 years ago

My favorites include Buckeye Extravaganza

• Zukoll
    10 years ago

and Sunkissed Rose and in particular the latter. For the ease to grow and it's determination to flower.

• Zukoll
    10 years ago

Oh, I nearly forget my Lil' Glimpse of Spring, it's a durable semi-mini. We get used to it's flowering to the point of neglect. ^-^

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Love the photos, thank you. Hopefully, I will be encouraged to post photos soon!
    Joann

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

Great photos, love this thread. This is one of my very favorites, Fisherman's Paradise, with lots of great variegation.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Is it large? Is it a trailer? Thanks, joanne

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

Fisherman's Paradise is a large standard. This is still a relatively young plant and it is already about 12" across.

This one is Fun Trail and has been blooming constantly for about a month now with lots of fantasy on the blooms.

• Zukoll
    10 years ago

The patterns on the leaves of Fishermen's Paradise are beautiful. How do the white patterns change year round?

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

My Fisherman's Paradise has pretty much retained the white pattern of the leaves year round. Sometimes the babies will start out with green leaves and the variegation begins to be more pronounced as the plant matures.