Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mixing perlite uniformly in blends

Posted by rjbcrest (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 08 at 15:47

I hate using perlite for my violets, but seems to be a necessary evil. My main problem in mixing it with standard AV mixture (which is too heavy to use as is) with 20% vermiculite and 20% perlite. It is difficult to form a uniform mix that doesn't segregate when handling and pouring it. The perlite tends to float to the top. I was wondering if the perlite was first wet, would it tend to stay put when mixed with the other constituents? Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mixing perlite uniformly in blends

When I make up a batch of mix, I first wet the perlite mostly to keep the dust down. It is very unhealthy to breathe the dust, and also wearing a mask could be done. Also, by first wetting it, it seems to mix in a little better.

Incidentally, the standard mix of peat, perlite, and vermiculite is 1 part of each, or 33%. At 20% it is still a little too heavy. If you are going to wick water, I would up the perlite to another 1/2 measure, resulting in a 1-1.5-1 ratio.

If the mix dries out after mixing, re-wetting will solve the floating perlite problem.

Good luck.

Barbara

o

Thanks, Barbara. I think you are correct and I will up the perlite. as time goes on. The only caveat is that I am putting in even more of the stuff that now seems to float to the top. But maybe pre-watering the perlite will result in a more uniform mix.

o

I'm curious - are you mixing your ingredients with water in some type of container before potting? I never thought of doing that. I make a dry mix (no floating perlite that way), then water it after it is in the pot. How do you like the results of wet mixing?

o

When I mix up a batch, I use the gray tubs that are used for bussing tables. I wet the perlite (with the kitchen sink sprayer)AFTER I measure it and put it gently in the tub. This keeps the dust down. I then add the peat and vermiculite, add some warm water, and mix with my hands. Add more warm water as necessary, just until the whole mix feels damp. I then put it into a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I add water as I use it and it dries out.

I like the results of wet mixing much better, the perlite doesn't float, and no perlite dust. And, I can get as dirty as I want!

Barbara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here