Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamisue_2009

OK mini vs std - my first order!

tamisue_2009
15 years ago

OK, I've made some decisions. I'm going to get MORE, (mini's, semi's and semi trailers) but for now, there are a few std's that I HAVE to have. So, my first order that I just placed:

Wicking potting mix (Rob's)

"Grow To Show" book

current issue of AVS magazine

and standards:

Ma's Corsage

Ma's Crime Scene

Ma's Fat Froggie

Ma's Midland Blue and

Apache War Bonnett!

I also found wonderful double 4" and 5" standard AV pots that are two pieces; outside glazed and inside unglazed for wicking, at Walmart. Nice looking pots for $6 each. Many colors, so have them waiting for my new stds that will arrive. Saves money on shipping those heavier pots.

When it warms up some, or when April 15 arrives, I'll then place my order for the rest (and pots for them). Now I'll have to clear away some of my scented geraniums!

Tami Sue

Comments (11)

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Hi, Tami Sue,

I can see how enthused and excited you are by your new hobby. Good for you!

Before you do any repotting of your plants, please please please read the Growing to Show that will come with your order.

Some red flags are going off about those 2 part pots. First of all, they are probably going to be WAY too big for the plants you get from the Violet Barn. The rule of thumb is to plant the violet in a pot that is 1/3 the diameter of the plant. You will probably not receive fully mature plants, and putting them in that size pot is inviting root rot.

Secondly, most experienced growers do not use these types of pots. You must be extra careful about your soil mix, and the transfer of water is inconsistent based upon the type of clay used, etc. Some of the pots will not absorb enough water, and some will absorb too much. Also, there is no way to occasionally flush the buildup of fertilizer salts from the pot, as the insert has no drainage. They are also hard to get out of the pot when it is time to re-pot them. My suggestion is to simply return them to W/M.

Cheap plastic pots in a 'squatty' shape, called azalea pots, really do work the best for most people. Again, remember that '1/3 the diameter of the plant' rule. The azalea pots can be hard to find in stores, but John Cook of Cape Cod Violetry carries them in all different sizes and colors. Or, call Violet Barn back and get a price on their pots, since you have an order coming anyway. I think John's pot are less expensive. His email is violets@cape.com

Agian, please read that book cover to cover before you repot those new babies! Good luck.

Barbara

• tamisue_2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I absolutely plan on reading the book before I repot. Yes, I understand that I can't put them in these pots until the AV's are more mature. However, I was very excited when I saw these pots in the store BECAUSE I saw these pots on many AV commercial sites. These sites were links on the AVSA website. And, in fact, I have found mention on this list, people liking this pot. (I have read every page of this list;-) So, I took advantage. IF they don't work, I'll use them for my dwarf scented geraniums.

Thanks for the advise!
    Tami Sue

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

Tami, when the time comes to transfer the violets to the 2 part pot, you can add a little extra perlite to your mix. Keep an eye on the soil to make sure it's moist and not soggy. I have two florist siningia in those type of pots. Once a year, when they are dormant, I un-pot them and soak the inner pot in white vingegar for a few days. Then rinse and soak in plain water a few days. So far, I've had no problem. I've never tried them with violetsl. I may just go to wally's and get a few and try them.
    Good luck with your little babies. Maybe, once they grow up, we can trade leaves.

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Tami,
    As Barbara said, stay away from potting your violets up in those two part containers. If you really feel you must use them, use them as slip pots. Pot your av's up into plastic pots of the appropriate size and then slip the whole thing into the ceramic pot. I keep all my minis and semis in 3oz Solo plastic cups which I wick with two plies of worsted weight acrylic yarn and grow them on top of pint deli containers.
    Good luck with your new hobby. One important thing you must do is to ISOLATE any new plant you get from the rest of your collection for a minimum of 1 month. Three months would be better.
    Fred in NJ

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Those two part pots might work for some but not for me and many people I know.

I personally think the reason they are being so heavily advertised by AVSA linked sites is because they want to move them and they depend on newcomers to buy them because most seasoned growers have already figured out/decided that they are really just for "show" and not for "grow."

Please don't be offended by this statement; I wish that someone had told me that before I spent $$ on them a few years ago.

Welcome to your addiction, LOL.
    And your list of plants sound wonderful, you're sure to have a beautiful collection very soon. I hope you'll share pictures.

Dora

• tamisue_2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My Oyama pots are on their way! I ordered 1 1/2", 2 1/2" and 3 1/2" pots. I have my dwarf and mini scented geraniums I can plant in my two part Walmart planters. And I only purchased 4 of them so far, and only $5.88 each, so I'm not out a lot of money. Now when I set my scented geraniums outside for the summer, I won't have to water the dwarfs several times a day when in the sun.

I've spent a lot of time on the AVSA website, looking at all the hundreds and hundreds of pics of AV's and I think.....I need a bigger house;-)

My store bought AV (just says "African Violet, product of Canada" on it) in my south window is about to bloom. Will take a pic and see if I an figure ot how to post it. However, it's been in the same pot now for a year, so I need to trasplant it. Oops! It's a pretty good sized AV, and I might need a 4" pot. Darn! Another pot order is in order. Hmmm....violaholic?
    Tami Sue

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Tami Sue -

product of Canada - means Harster greenhouses. Earlier they had a list of their violets, now they removed it. They are not registered and they are for marketing purposes only - blues and purples have guys names - and pink and white - girls names - but I think they recycle the same names year after year on differnet varieties.

you definitely need to translant it. 4" sounds right for their varieties. You get it out of the pot, remove the old and damaged leaves on a bottom - and the new pot should be 1/3 of the leaf span. Be sure that the soil you are going to use is light enough - if you get the AV soil from the store add at least 1/3 of perlite to it. This soil is mostly peat - so perfect would be 1:1:1 soil - perlite - vermiculite - but just perlite would be OK too. You need to pot the way so you bury the neck - so try to shake as much as possible of this store soil and may be trim the bottom of the rootball a bit. If the neck is covered with the brown skin - scrape it a bit with your nails or something not too sharp to let the new roots grow.

violetoholic Irina

• tamisue_2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah ha! Yes, it'll be repotted in Rob's wicking mix, when it comes next week. This violet has no neck on it. It actually looks great! And has numerous buds starting to peak out above the leaves. Don't know, should it be repoted when it's heavy with new blooms? I've been giving it 7-7-7 AV food and occasional fish emulsion. It has vary nice varigated leaves and pink flowers. If I remember right, this one has wavy, semi double or double pink flowers.
    Tami Sue

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Tami Sue,

When you repot the violet, it will be somewhat of a shock to it, having its roots risturbed, etc. Whatever you can do to reduce that shock includes removing the blossoms. Sometimes trying to maintain a full bloom AND develop new roots or absorb transplant shock really hurts the plant. So, either wait until done blooming, or remove all buds and blossoms.

By the way, not to make you envious or anything, I attended the Connecticutt Flower Show in Hartford yesterday. Had an opportunity to again say 'hello' to Rob and Olive, and shop their booth, and to attend a great lecture by Nancy Hayes on basic violet care.

What does it mean when one stands at the booth of the Violet Barn, look at their plants, and say, "oh, how gorgeous, have it, oh how gorgeous, have it, oooh, cute, have it, etc"? I have too many? I have seen their booth too often? I have been to the shop too many times? All of the above, I fear.

Again, not too make you envious.......LOL

Barbara

• tamisue_2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Envious? YES!!! I wish I were within driving distance to visit Rob's. And I haven't seen any violet shows in my area (other than Chicago) for several years. I'd LOVE to visit their booth! Someday.......!

Right now, I'm watching it snow here on the IL/WI border near the Mississippi River.
    Tami Sue

• davidX
    12 years ago

I myself have had genital herpes for several years. Way back when, I remember what the doctors told me. It didn�t make sense. I wish there had been more resources available. I felt like I had to navigate the waters all by myself.
    I personally have found peace and happiness. If you haven�t, you will. Ignorance and denial is not the solution. Be informed� learn the truth� here at Pozmingles.com. which have more than 600000 memebers according some news and it have provided many services such as chatting,blogs,test center,forum etc.