Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookie_grow

Re: Are optimara violets in Walmart, Home Depot registered

cookie_grow
10 years ago

Hello,
I had a general question. The violets available at Walmart and Home Depot are from Optimara, but are they registered with the AVSA. They do have names written on them sometimes on the pots.

Just Curious to know,

Cooks.

Comments (17)

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Hopefully, one of the Optimara "experts" will chime in. I just happen to be on-line now, and talking about Optimara. If you look on the variety identification page on optimara.com, you will see listed AVSA registration numbers for some varieites. Some also are are U.S. patented. Optimara also has their own categorizing system. I believe Irina knows more about this.
    You are fortunate if your local stores have Optimara's with names written on the pots. Maybe they are locally grown, and the grower puts the names on the pots. Anything interesting or unusual that you found?
    Joanne

• cookie_grow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I havent found something unusual, I was just curious. Thanks for the information though Joanne!

Cooks.

• quimoi
    10 years ago

From what I can tell, the vast majority of them are registered. If you are curious about a certain variety, someone can probably tell you.

Diana

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Probably half of Optimaras are registered. Nowdays they do not attach the name tag to their plants - guess to save money on the million plants.

That's great that Cooks gets named plants from HD. Personally I do not think that you need to build a collection of Optimaras from HD. named or not not named. They are good plants to start - but after you acquire the know-how - there are so many truly gorgeous plants available - Optimaras look like poor relatives in comparison.

There are some very interesting Optimaras - but not many - the rest of them are more or less uniform with different bloom color.

Optimaras - will open you the door - you peak inside - and wow - I want this and I want that - and let's try some Streptocarpus - and you are lost. Obsession took over.

Irina

• quimoi
    10 years ago

Just curious, Irina - how did you come up with half?

My First Class 2 is outdated, but I ran through the Holtkamp varieties and most of them were registered. There were a few series that were not but I hadn't seen most of those anyway. (The "dance" one and the world traveler(?) I think were two.)

Diana

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Irina

I certainly agree with you ... and have learned so much from you.

For me, those Optimaras are just so pretty in the stores when in bloom when I know I can't place any orders to the east coast yet, so I "give in" to temptation. But they very soon get passed along, either to my local club or
    Jo

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 14:03

• quimoi
    10 years ago

Irina,
    I thought maybe you'd found something I hadn't. As I said, my program is outdated. I suspect Optimara may have quite a presence at the next convention and have really upped their web presence.

It really seems as though people are getting many more sports lately. It can be both interesting and frustrating.

Joanne,

Some of the vendors have been taking orders to ship when the weather permits. I believe Travis is one that mentioned they had been taking them since December. They all differ but it's hard to realize that some places are not buried in snow as I am.

Diana

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Irina, Very interesting about Powder Keg. I have only my original plant from LLG that blooms consistently like the photos on the LLG website. Very dark red with Geneva edge. It grew large. Leaves I rooted have not developed yet.
    Are the sports attractive? Or do you prefer the original?
    Joanne

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Original is much better. The sport has some bleeding from red to geneva edge .

I.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Mine is blooming again. It is consistent, with a crisp geneva edge,
    though a darker color than is usually seen in the photos. Maybe if I took a photo, it would look lighter than it is. Sort of brownish red. However, it is the original plant. I have not yet seen the leaves I started flower yet. If it sports, will let you know.J

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Brownish red is correct. All red Avs - have some tint of coral in them - the newer ones are closer to the true "tomato" - the older ones - to the dead meat. Pics on the websites - excuse me - Photoshop.

With the good light - like grow light - the corals show quite attractively.

• quimoi
    10 years ago

This was posted on the Optimara Facebook page:

"Good news for African Violet growers.
    We will have the following varieties registered with the AVSA in time for the 2014 Convention & Show in Nashville (May 26 - June 1). The listed Varieties will have an AVSA # for show purposes - so start growing now. We've got 3 months!

MyJoy, myDesire, myTemptation, myDream, myLove, myPassion, myCharm. Annabelle, Isabelle. + Space violets: EverBeautiful, EverGlory, EVerJoy, EverSpecial, EverGrace, EverPrecious and EverRejoice!
    All of these varieties are available now."

So, I guess those ones don't have registration numbers yet but will in time to be shown at the convention.

Diana

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks, Irinia,
    helpful, as always!
    I have Arapahoe on my wish list. Really, anything red!
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 1:39

• Theresa Bennett
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Optimara is the largest growers of AVs on the planet. All violets can be easily propagated and sold except for theirs. They do not allow it. Theirs are registered but not individually labeled as to name so they provide a site for you to look up your violet's name. If you buy directly from their store, they will label it and you can show it in a club for ribbons. Many hobbyists and enthusiasts who do not show, sell or collect do not care if the plants are labeled or not. Optimara sells wholesale to other growers who do put their own brand label on the plants but not the variety names, I suspect Walmart buys them like that from a grower and puts an "Expert Gardener" label on them.

• Rosie1949
    2 years ago

They may provide a "site for you to look up your violet's name" but there are very few you will be able to identify WITH CERTAINTY as to the name. There are a few distinctive violets you can identify but the rest???? Not so much. Be very careful about trying to ID a Noid from the Optimara site. I have always said shame on Optimara for not labeling their plants that they profit from, I still say that now. I don't believe any of their reasons not to. There is no other manufacturer of ANYTHING in this world that I can think of that gets away with this. And they get away with it because we allow it. Rosie

• Theresa Bennett
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I've actually been able to identify quite a few. I don't belong to any club or have one within 100 miles from me so I don't care. They set the rules for their violets and if you don't like it, don't buy them. I find them a lot hardier than some of the fancy hybridized ones. If you buy directly from selectivegardener.com they do name them or you can always just ask them to identify them. If the grower identifies them then that is as good as a name tag. I love optimaras because they are affordable and used to be easy to find locally. Not so much any more where I live. I will pull a trade or order online when I want one. To each his own.