Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re: Are optimara violets in Walmart, Home Depot registered

Posted by cookie_grow (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 16:29

Hello,
I had a general question. The violets available at Walmart and Home Depot are from Optimara, but are they registered with the AVSA. They do have names written on them sometimes on the pots.

Just Curious to know,

Cooks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re: Are optimara violets in Walmart, Home Depot registered

Hi Hopefully, one of the Optimara "experts" will chime in. I just happen to be on-line now, and talking about Optimara. If you look on the variety identification page on optimara.com, you will see listed AVSA registration numbers for some varieites. Some also are are U.S. patented. Optimara also has their own categorizing system. I believe Irina knows more about this.
You are fortunate if your local stores have Optimara's with names written on the pots. Maybe they are locally grown, and the grower puts the names on the pots. Anything interesting or unusual that you found?
Joanne

o

I havent found something unusual, I was just curious. Thanks for the information though Joanne!

Cooks.

o

From what I can tell, the vast majority of them are registered. If you are curious about a certain variety, someone can probably tell you.

Diana

o

Probably half of Optimaras are registered. Nowdays they do not attach the name tag to their plants - guess to save money on the million plants.

That's great that Cooks gets named plants from HD. Personally I do not think that you need to build a collection of Optimaras from HD. named or not not named. They are good plants to start - but after you acquire the know-how - there are so many truly gorgeous plants available - Optimaras look like poor relatives in comparison.

There are some very interesting Optimaras - but not many - the rest of them are more or less uniform with different bloom color.

Optimaras - will open you the door - you peak inside - and wow - I want this and I want that - and let's try some Streptocarpus - and you are lost. Obsession took over.

Irina

o

Just curious, Irina - how did you come up with half?

My First Class 2 is outdated, but I ran through the Holtkamp varieties and most of them were registered. There were a few series that were not but I hadn't seen most of those anyway. (The "dance" one and the world traveler(?) I think were two.)

Diana

o

Hi Irina

I certainly agree with you ... and have learned so much from you.

For me, those Optimaras are just so pretty in the stores when in bloom when I know I can't place any orders to the east coast yet, so I "give in" to temptation. But they very soon get passed along, either to my local club or
Jo

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 14:03

o

Diana -
you are correct - they have more than half registered. I think they added a lot recently. My mistake.

Joanne - I usually keep sports for giveaways - lately I had quite a crop of mutating Powder Keg. Leaves are lighter, flowers develop wider geneva edge = one of them even tries to become chimera. Right now every blossom is different - from red to pink to pinwheel. I think my mother friends in senior living will benefit from my mutated batch.

I.

o

Irina,
I thought maybe you'd found something I hadn't. As I said, my program is outdated. I suspect Optimara may have quite a presence at the next convention and have really upped their web presence.

It really seems as though people are getting many more sports lately. It can be both interesting and frustrating.

Joanne,

Some of the vendors have been taking orders to ship when the weather permits. I believe Travis is one that mentioned they had been taking them since December. They all differ but it's hard to realize that some places are not buried in snow as I am.

Diana

o

Irina, Very interesting about Powder Keg. I have only my original plant from LLG that blooms consistently like the photos on the LLG website. Very dark red with Geneva edge. It grew large. Leaves I rooted have not developed yet.
Are the sports attractive? Or do you prefer the original?
Joanne

o

Original is much better. The sport has some bleeding from red to geneva edge .

I.

o

Mine is blooming again. It is consistent, with a crisp geneva edge,
though a darker color than is usually seen in the photos. Maybe if I took a photo, it would look lighter than it is. Sort of brownish red. However, it is the original plant. I have not yet seen the leaves I started flower yet. If it sports, will let you know.J

o

Brownish red is correct. All red Avs - have some tint of coral in them - the newer ones are closer to the true "tomato" - the older ones - to the dead meat. Pics on the websites - excuse me - Photoshop.

With the good light - like grow light - the corals show quite attractively.

o

This was posted on the Optimara Facebook page:

"Good news for African Violet growers.
We will have the following varieties registered with the AVSA in time for the 2014 Convention & Show in Nashville (May 26 - June 1). The listed Varieties will have an AVSA # for show purposes - so start growing now. We've got 3 months!

MyJoy, myDesire, myTemptation, myDream, myLove, myPassion, myCharm. Annabelle, Isabelle. + Space violets: EverBeautiful, EverGlory, EVerJoy, EverSpecial, EverGrace, EverPrecious and EverRejoice!
All of these varieties are available now."

So, I guess those ones don't have registration numbers yet but will in time to be shown at the convention.

Diana

o

Thanks, Irinia,
helpful, as always!
I have Arapahoe on my wish list. Really, anything red!
Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 1:39

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here