Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't find anything close to this AV - Can you?

Posted by brooklynbonnie Bklyn 7b NYC (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 17:02

I got what I am pretty sure is an AV from my husband recently as an apology for knocking over a small Gardenia I had. I thought I could get an idea of what the name might be because it has what I thought were two fairly distinctive characteristics; white single flowers with a green throat, and ruffled leaves. But no dice. Anyone know what it might be? Even some pictures of similar varieties would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't find anything close to this AV - Can you?

Close up of flowers...

o

Close up of leaves...

o

I am sorry, but I believe that's a Geranium (also known to some as Pelargonium). Not an African violet, but treated as an outdoor annual for a lot of folks.

Planto

o

• Posted by edie_h 5aNY (Finger Lakes) (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 19:08

It's a primrose. The grocery store near me has a display of them right now.

o

German Primrose

o

Primrose, (Primula) are usually perennials that bloom in early spring. There are also a few annual species.

Here is a picture of an African Violet for comparison.

Linda

o

Okay, I was mistaken. I've never seen a German primrose before. Stores only sell the "usual" primroses here. They don't have the long flower stems like the German variety and the leaves look much different. Another new thing I've learned this week. :)

Planto

o

THANK YOU!!! I knew the leaves seemed way too light green for AV but I didn't know what else was fuzzy and had flower stalks like this. I am very grateful to you all. :D

o

Keep your primrose in a cool spot, like a windowsill, no direct sun, and the blooms will last much longer. Also, do not let the soil dry out.

Linda

o

Thanks for the tips Linda!

o

Which is that, Linda? It is beautiful. One of my violet buddies is looking for a plant like that. I don't have it in my collection. Maybe we can do a trade in the spring if you have small plants or rooted leaves. Thanks, josnne

o

Joanne,

That is Austen's Love. I'll start a leaf for you tomorrow!

Linda

o

Linda
Thanks, so thoughtful! Really appreciate that!
Joanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here