Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabrebuddy

transplanting a large violet ?

sabrebuddy
15 years ago

Hi everyone, I need a little advise on this how should I go about transplanting a large standard she is almost 17" across and she has about seventy buds and blooms. Thanks Terri

Comments (12)

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Terri =

you a looking into 5-6" pot - depending on how many lower leaves you remove. If you want just pot up - you can get your violet out of the pot, put some soil in the bottom, put the old pot - and stuff soil between the sides of new pot and old pot, lift the old pot and very accurately plant your violet into the hole and top dress the surface. Then you are ok budwise. You won't disturb it.

If you need to work on your violet - for example if it has several suckers or an excessively long neck - you can do your necessary surgery and pot it in a usual way - cutting some soil from the bottom and removing old damaged leaves and such - then you need to remove all buds and blooms to help the plant to recover faster. In this case i would wait and enjoy the flowers and go for it when most of them are spent.

good luck with your biggie

irina

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi,
    You could also try mould potting it.
    Fred in NJ

• sabrebuddy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Fred, I don't know what that is you would have to explain it to me. today my daughter and I took a couple of pictures of her oh bye the way we are talking about the violet Operas Renee and I will have my daughter help me post it. yes I am also new at posting pictures online. Boy I am sure learning alot hanging out here with you guys and gals. Terri

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Mould potting is done by taking a larger pot than the plant is currently in and placing a pot of the same size that the plant is in. You would put the smaller size pot into the larger pot and fill in the space around it with your mix. The mix should be damp and able to stand by itself when the smaller pot is removed. The pot is removed from the plant leaving a naked rootball which is then slid into the space created in the larger pot.
    Fred in NJ

• sabrebuddy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:360153}}

Hi Fred, Here is the picture of Operas renee she is quite a beautiful violet thats why I am so afraid to transplant her. Terri

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Terri,
    Why do you think you need to repot it now? It looks fine the way it is.

Fred in NJ

• sabrebuddy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi fred, I was just thinking on how it's hasn't been repotted in at least six months. Terri

• robitaillenancy1
    15 years ago

I found an easy way to Mold-pot as Fred suggests.

Take a larger pot, fill half way and dampen the soil.

With a spoon, bring the damp soil to the edges of the pot building a well sort of thing. At this point, put a pot in of the same size your plant is presently in.

Place it in the middle of the larger pot with soil and crush it in.

Fill in the sides between the pots and dampen the soil.

Remove the pot and place your plant into the mold. It should fit just perfectly.

Nancy

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Terri,
    I think it could go another 3-6 months without any damage.
    Fred in NJ

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

Personally, I would just leave it alone. It's a georgeous plant. I'd be afraid of doing harm to it, if I tried to re-pot. I have 'Devotion' that has two crowns, and will re-pot one of these days.
    {{gwi:360154}}

• sabrebuddy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi ima, you know your so right i am going to leave it alone for a while, its so funny that this violet right now as i look at her just gets prettier every day.- Terri

• canukgirl
    11 years ago

I need an official description of Opera's Renee and its AVSA #. Intend to enter it in a show soon. Thanks. Just email it to me and I'd really appreciate it.

Canukgirl

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!