Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marty_1

Hairy discolored poorly growing stunted centers

marty-1
10 years ago

My plants are in a light stand and most are doing well. But I noticed 4-5 plants w Hairy discolored poorly growing stunted centers. The plants are on matting which is on plastic grids above the water w the ends draped into a solution of filtered tap water, 1/8 tsp dynagrow 7/9/5, and 1/2 tsp physalis 20 per gallon.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Marty,

What are the varieties of the violets you are concerned about? Are they all the same? From the picture, your centers do not look stunted but the color is unusual. I have had violets grow with color on the new growth especially with variegated varieties.

Linda

• quimoi
    10 years ago

I am no expert but have had a few funny looking centers this year. There are two things that I've wondered about and that is too much fertilizer and getting too chilly.

Not all varieties tolerate the same conditions, especially when it comes to temperatures.

Hopefully someone more expert will chime in. It does look variegated to me though too.

Diana in PA

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Marty,

Too much fertilizer can affect the crown. Do you flush out your violets on occasion and/or give them a period of no fertilizer? Most growers fertilize weakly for three weeks and then use plain water for the fourth week.
    I think your centers look fine but it would help to know the varieties.

Linda

• marty-1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments. The centers may not be stunted but the color is funny and they aren't growing normally. It has affected: best friends, rob's lil ballerina, and robs love bite; I don't flush plants and fertilizer is constant in the trays. Could it be a fungus? In not sure if this plant has the same thing?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Marti,

Usually fungus presents as a wilty, water-logged or soaked look. When you say they are not growing properly, in what way?

Where do you live ? This severe weather that most of us in the US have experienced can cause plants to grow differently than usual. Growth will often be slower and the coloring of the leaves and blooms can be off. If your plants are just now exhibiting 'off' growth, it could be as a result of the cold weather as the cold's effects would take a while to show themselves.

Your crown looks like pink variegation to me.

Linda

This post was edited by whitelacey on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 1:59

• quimoi
    10 years ago

It doesn't look like fungus to me either. I couldn't find any Rob's Lil Ballerina, but Lyons has a variegated variety by that name, Buckeye Best Friends is variegated, and so is Rob's Love Bite. I grew that one a few years ago and it is a nice plant; the center was nearly white. The Buckeye is a standard but the other two are small.

If your temperatures aren't cool, then I would suspect the fertilizer issue. I was overfertilizing recently and it showed up especially in the center of a variegated semi-miniature. I think the color on yours is fine but I'd follow the flushing/fertilizer recommendations given here.

Diana in PA

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Marty,

Too much fertilizer can affect the crown. Do you flush out your violets on occasion and/or give them a period of no fertilizer? Most growers fertilize weakly for three weeks and then use plain water for the fourth week.
    I think your centers look fine but it would help to know the varieties.

Linda

• quimoi
    10 years ago

Rob's Love Bite
    Lil Ballerina
    Buckeye Best Friends

All variegated varieties

• Karin
    10 years ago

The picture looks like one I saw on a blog post (i think) about ph problems... If I find it I'll post the link....

When did you last repot? And what soil mix are you using?

Karin

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Just a note for future reference: all 'Buckeyes' are variegated.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

I did not know that! Explains why they take so long to grow.
    J

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

I have been nursing many 'Buckeye' leaves since September which are just now showing growth! Patience!

Linda

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area