Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering

Posted by louie4646 Ca (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 11, 10 at 17:49

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum. I have a question on watering, I use fresh water fish water to water my african violets. Should I also use a fertilizer as well? I'm afraid I will overferilize if I add the additional fertilizer. I grow my violets in oyama pots and they are growing and flowering alright. Thank you, Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering

I don't know about with self-watering pots but I use conventional pots and water with Optimara AV fertilizer every time. The plants do great with it. The key is having very dilute fertilizer, and the Optimara has directions on it specifically for watering AVs.

o
RE: Watering

Lisa-

you are giving your plant already naturally fertilized water - fish emulsion of a sort - and as long as it works for you - I wouldn't change it. If you want to try Optimara fertilizer - and it is a very good one - you can every so often - let's say every 4th time - refill your pots with 1/4 teaspoon per gallon solution to add some trace elements and what else that can be lacking. You will see if your violets will benefit from it or not and decide if you want to do it.

Irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here