Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seed pods

Posted by Jajohnson2 8 WA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 05 at 18:12

For the first time, I'm seeing what appear to be seed pods on a couple of my AVs. How can I tell for sure and, if they are pods, how will I know when they are ripe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seed pods

Hi Judy,

One way you will know that they are seed pods is that they won't wilt and go away. I have never grown seed pods to the point where one has viable seeds. I've heard it takes somewhere between six and nine months. You will know when they are completely ripe when they become dry and crisp and the pod will open to disburse the seeds. It has always sounded fun to me but I never wanted to wait that long. I wound up buying seed through a mail-order company and planted that instead. It is fun to grow seed from African violets at least once in one's life. I may do it again sometime. Who knows. Right now I am growing other kinds of geseriads and barely have room for them.

Good luck. I hope you have a viable pod.

Larry

o
RE: Also

Judy,

Here is a link to Rachel's reflections. Go down to hybridizing and she explains the whole process and what to do with the seeds afterwards.

Have fun

Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachels Reflections

o

Hi,
If you are seeing seed pods on your violets and haven't pollinated them youself, I suggest that you do a careful check for thrips. Generally violets don't set pods by themselves. They need help and thrips very often do the job.
Fred in NJ

o

Here's what they look like. I'm not sure they are pods.

Here is a link that might be useful: seed pods?

o

Hi Judy,

The picture that you have looks more like unfertilized ovaries. Seed pods are a little more plump and swollen.

Larry

o

Hi again,
If you are looking at the two little green lumps attached to the stem in the center of the picture, they aren't seed pods. They are what is left of the blossom after the flower has fallen off. You can take off the entire stem or petiole when this happens. You will get no more bloom from that bloomstalk.
Fred in NJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here