Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smed66

Knat's how can I get rid of them?

smed66
16 years ago

Hi, Having problems with little black flies around my violets, mainly in the water trays on the bottom.Any ideas how to get rid of them or where they come form?

thanks,

T

Comments (9)

• golden_ca_2000
    16 years ago

I had them myself for a while - this was when I was starting my leaves - so once I noticed that I had them - I took all my leaves and repotted them in NEWLY purchased soil. (sometimes I think you get them from the actual soil you buy from the store) Anyways then I put them all in individual plastic lunch bags and watched them very closely - squishing the bugs in the bags as I saw them. I weeded out the plants that still had the knats and I did not take them out of their bags until I was SURE I was rid of them. I have been free of them now for at least 5 months. They are hard to get rid of and they can multiply fairly fast - so you should start something soon. You can also buy sticky traps at the nursery which I used also. Good luck. Golden

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I have a few no pest strips hanging around my stands which has helped. Other than that I know some people put yellow trays of water around which are supposed to attract the flies who dive in and drown themselves.
    Fred in NJ

• golden_ca_2000
    16 years ago

Oh I forgot to mention - fungas knats like wet soil - let all your plants dry out completely and water only when you must (from the bottom) ( a tinsy bit) Because I was starting leaves I could not let my soil dry out like that - depending on which plants you have - just let them dry out real good.

• robitaillenancy1
    16 years ago

You can allow the plants to dry out a bit or you can drench the soil with one teaspoon bleach to a pint of warm water.

Or you can put each tray into a garbage can and place a Yellow no pest strip with them. Then spray with Safer's soap or Lysol antibacterial spray. Leave 24 hours.

Nancy

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

I used to get a lot of knats when I watered from the top, now I bottom water and use sticky cards and am not bothered by them.

• jobear446
    16 years ago

I too had a problem with knats when I first started. I started to add a stymic (sp) to the soil when I repot and I haven't seen a knat in months. It eliminates the sticky strip which I seem to touch everytime I am rummaging around under the lights.

• golden_ca_2000
    16 years ago

Out of interest - whats a stymic (sp)?

• irina_co
    16 years ago

Fungus gnats will disappear if you use systemic pesticide - for example Marathon. I wouldn't use Marathon just to get rid of the gnats - it is expensive. I got Marathon when I had an invasion of soil mealy bugs. It is active - let' say for 3 months - so in 3 months your pots can get reinfested by fungus gnats from other pots or from outside in summer.

Irina

• jobear446
    16 years ago

The granules I add are systemic Houseplant granules. I got them at a local flower shop. They work great for me. the knats were just too annoying.......

Joanne

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022