Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New noid

Posted by loveviolets (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 18, 10 at 19:43

My friend purchased a violet at Lowe's as a Valentines Day gift. She knows I love violets and have a special place in my heart for the Noids. I know that finding the true name is almost impossible and doesn't bother me as I usually give them a name. I know it is an Optimara, it has two different colored leaves and blooms. One bloom is white trimmed in purple and the other is solid purple. Very unique, if I can find out how to upload a pic here will do so.
wilma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New noid

HI Wilma,
It sounds to me like the plant is already sporting or reverting back to one of its ancestors. If you have a tag on the plant that gives you any info you can go to Optimarma.com and maybe find the name.
Fred in NJ

o

Thanks Fred. The label only says Premium Collectors and does give the Optimarma web site. It is a lovely violet. Part of the plant has solid green leaves and the other half has red underside and stems show red. I did go to their web site but did not see any that came close. I am puzzled by the two different leaves and stems.
Wilma

o

Wilma -

The proper named variety will be white trimmed in purple - with green back leaves, the part of the plant is sporting to a more primitive color - it will be purple with leaves with red backs.

It is sporting - exactly as Fred explained - and the changes are on all tissues of the plant - flowers and leaves and stem.

Eventually the whole plant will turn purple. If you want to preserve the bicolor one - take the leaf directly under the bicolor bloom - and put it down for babies. If you never did it before - look at the multiple sites where it is explained - AVSA.org, our questions and replies - and if you have more questions we will be glad to help.

But the main thing- if you want to preserve your bicolor plant - you need to do it now.

I had it happened to my Optimara Cora. It is bicolor purple and white - and it is not "trimmed" - it is more of a thumbprint pattern.

Good Luck

irina

o

Irina, thank you for this advice I will set leaves tomorrow.
wilma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here