Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmc16

new leaves curled

tmc16
13 years ago

Hi, my name is Tina and I started with violets about a year ago and am now totally hooked. I will be going to my first violet club meeting next week, weather permitting. I have been reading the discussions and have learned so much. I do have a question about a plant I have had for about a year, it grows extremely slow and all the new leaves curls under at the tip very tightly and the whole center seems very tight. About 5 months ago it was knocked over by my cat, 3 times (I have a new stand now). It is in front of a east facing sliding door, my other plants are doing great. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (9)

• 1530DJS
    13 years ago

Hi Tina, Know what you mean about getting hooked,it sneaks up on you! I think if your other violets are doing ok, maybe that one is too cold. You said its in front of the door and maybe its getting cold from opening the door.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

It can be mites.

Hopefully it is just a combination of growing conditions - too cold, something missing etc.

Have a look at the mite pics - Steve Reed posted on his site.

I.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve Reed site

• tmc16
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I took a look at the pictures and one of those could be my plant. I am going to toss it. My other plants look fine do they need to be treated? I am planning to get a new plant stand with the plastic cover I've been eying in two weeks. I'm hoping that will protect them from the drafts from the door and the air conditioner in the summer. We live in an apartment and it's the only place to put it. Thank you for both your suggestions.

• GrowHappy
    13 years ago

Hi Tina,

Yes, I would definitely treat any other plants that were growing in the same area. Forbid is the best miticide on the market right now. It kills mites in all stages as well as the eggs. You can do a search on eBay for this product. Important too is, if it is safe to do so in your home, is to wipe down the shelves/growing area with the Forbid solution. The last thing you want is eggs hatching in a few days and re-infesting your collection, and these suckers do NOT need a host plant to survive. Evil, insidious little creatures they are. Clean all your tools too.

Hope this helps.
    Shanika

• GrowHappy
    13 years ago

Sorry, forgot to add:
    If you are going to take on growing more violets, then it is a good idea to invest in a 30x or highter jeweler's loupe so that you can inspect your plants. Mites are micropscopic, but can be seen with one of these. It was one of the best investments I ever made. I bought mine off of Amazaon for like $20 or less, but it included several loupes of varying powers. 30x is the highest that came with this set.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Shanika -

did you use Forbid? Does it hurt the violets?

Good Tip! I was not aware that ebay has it in small amounts!

irina

• GrowHappy
    13 years ago

I did use it Irina for a mite infestation on my streps. I sprayed violets too as a precaution even though they are kept in a different room. It does not hurt the plants, but it will cause blossom deformity on current and next bloom cycle. It works like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• tmc16
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Forbid has been ordered. If I treat the infected plant is there a chance it will be o.k., I would much rather try to save it then just throw it out it's one of my first violets and I hate just giving up. It has a good root system. I have isolated it from the others. I will look into the jewelers loop soon also. Thank you for the great information.

Tina

• GrowHappy
    13 years ago

Yes, it is possible to save your plant, and don't forget to treat the others as well. Good Luck!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County