Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scoutsadie

Color preferences?

scoutsadie
19 years ago

Hi all -- just wondering who grows only AVs that are variations of the same color. For instance, I love the color blue, so the AVs that I collect are all blues or feature some blue.

Anyone else stick to just one color, or do most of you collect various colored plants?

beck

Comments (17)

• fred_hill
    19 years ago

Hi,
    I have all colors in my collection but my favorite blossoms are those with Geneva edges.
    Fred in NJ

• larry_b
    19 years ago

Hello Beck,

I will basically buy any flower that I really enjoy. I am also partial to miniature and semi miniature trailing violets. My favorites though are chimeras and fantasy violets.

Larry

• BuffaloViolets
    19 years ago

I thought I had a variety of colors until I saw my stands in blooms. Subconsciously, I must be a pink person.

Lisa

• farmerSK
    19 years ago

I think I'm going to be an all colour collector. Although my collection is still small, what I have ordered for spring has a good variety of colour.

Fred - what is a Geneva edge?

Joan

• korina
    19 years ago

I don't seem to be particular. Just Saturday, I rescued three minis from the clutches of a local nursery that had all their AVs standing in water in the dark. I mean *dark*. No flowers, although one looks suspiciously like a previous rescue, which is a gorgeous little white NOID. The other two, while currently standing upright and a bit etiolated, are very different; one has round quilted leaves, and the other has long, dark, ruffled leaves. Very cool. So I have whites, purples, pinks, one fuschia with blue fantasies, and my Rob's Loose Noodle that strongly reminds me of a purple-edged lotus flower.

I'm easy.

Korina

• fred_hill
    19 years ago

Hi,
    For those of you who are not aware, a Geneva edge is a white edge around each petal of a violet blossom. If you go to a violet show, they generally have a class for edged blossoms. At our show it is broken down into Geneva and another for all other edged blossoms.
    Fred in NJ

• trishohiozone5_6
    19 years ago

I think I'm an all color person. I really love varigated foliage though.

• robitaillenancy1
    19 years ago

I was a pink freak, now I have lots of reds but I think blues over power them all--for now.

Nancy

• lainielady
    19 years ago

After looking at my plant stands, I would say the deeper, vibrant colored ones are my favorites. If I had to pin it down more, the coral shades really call to me! Just don't ask which is my favorite violet, as they all are at one time or another!! lol Elaine

• razz
    19 years ago

Although I dont have this one... its one I would love to have. ;-0 so I guess I like the pinks..no the purples...no the ruffles..I cant make up my mind. lol
    {{gwi:360320}}
    razz

• silver77
    19 years ago

I have a wide variety of colors. My favorite colors (and I have at least 7 clones of each of these in various rooms from all the sports they send up)are:

1. Green fringed flowers with varigated leaves (Leaping Lizards)--- my all time favorite
    2. A deep burgundy red flower with varigated leaves
    3. A hot pink and deep purple fantasy violet-- its flowers look like sparkle dust is over them.

I am interested in acquiring another green variety the next time I go to a violet show. I am interested in Irish flirt. So I guess my favorite are those with green flowers.

• korina
    19 years ago

Ooh, Silver, have you seen Irish Iridescence? Preeeeeeety.

Korina (formerly of Man-hat-tan Beach)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hope this works

• janet_a
    19 years ago

blues and purples and dark dark reds.

although i almost brought home a very cool pink and white optimara chimera last weekend. but i'm seriously running out of space so i have to be picky.

• honey_grams
    16 years ago

Looking for Fantasy Ruffles. Does anyone know where I can get the plant, or at least a leaf?

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA Photo of Fantasy Ruffles

• donnaviola
    16 years ago

Hi Silver, Have you seen Green Dragon? It has green edges on white blossoms. It is a really good propagator also. I got leaves last end of Nov. and I have several plants now and one is blooming. If you like green bet you would like it. Donnaviola

• violetta1976
    16 years ago

I tend to like almost anything with multi-colored petals. I bought Ness' Ruffled Skies recently. I can't wait for it to bloom. Every time I look at this picture it takes my breath away.

{{gwi:360323}}

I guess those are geneva petals?

I got Rob's Boondoggle, Loose Noodle, and a few others for the same reason.

I think I only buy AVs with single color flowers if the petal is shaped in an interesting way or if the foliage attracts me somehow.

• cajunkisses2007
    16 years ago

I too love the green edged flowers, although I don't have many.

Silver have you seen Kermit? He reminds me a little of Irish Flirt.

Belinda