Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aviolet6

Begonias vs. African Violets

aviolet6
11 years ago

Anyone on here grow begonias successfully indoors as well as african violets? I looked up begonia care requirements and they seem awfully similar, but I haven't learned to care for begonias properly yet. Everytime I buy some they die. But Lowes had some lovely ones yesterday, and the african violets were mostly dead, so I couldn't resist buying 3. Can anyone tell me how to keep them alive? I read they don't change environments well so I put them in ziplock bags to give them more time to adjust to my place this time.

Comments (19)

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

I've only killed begonias indoors.

Fortunately, there is a Begonia forum ...

Also ... Google it ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Begonia Forum

This post was edited by aegis500 on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 8:30

• wendycoo
    11 years ago

I have grown wax begonias and rex begonias in the house quite successfully. I have never tried to keep tuberous begonias in the house except to start in the spring. I think that they might be trickier.
    Wendy/SK

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

i kill all rexes invariably. i also start tuberous indoors and one large one even bloomed indoors (start in sunny western window, then xfer to NE, once they have buds and i havemorning sun in NE). this year i will put them on wicks like AV - wicks provide very even moisture and plants somehow require much less water in my experience. and i will feed with AV or orchid hi phosphorus fertilizer. most of my AV's live in a western window with slatted shades, some in NE, but only in summer. i think they are very similar too. at least large/heavy bloomers.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

I have several rex and cane Begonias growing side by side with Avs and other gesneriads. I think cane like a bit more light. I am growing everything on wicks - mats - light shelves - and seems that it works just right with Begonias,

the only issue with them - I just have so much real estate...

• aviolet6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all replies, more advice welcome. I wonder, then, why the begonias usually begin dying soon after I get them. Could they already have a disease? Maybe they don't adjust to temperature or light changes at first? I left some in original pots for awhile, others I changed soil and started wicking. All died. I have looked online and on the begonia forum in the past, will do so again. Begonia forum did not seem helpful at the time, it was too detalied about various types and species and I needed something more general and basic. Was hoping to find out here if they can be grown the same as African Violets. It seems they can, if I can get them to stay alive to begin with. The ones I bought this time are healthy looking and I am keeping them upstairs where its warmer (maybe 68-75) instead of downstairs where i'ts more like 67. Any other ideas, feel free to share. Thanks again.

• terrilou
    11 years ago

I think the begonia is one of the largest plant families in the world so there are lot of different types with different requirements. I suspect you bought rex types, the ones with the beautiful leaves. I've never had great success with these as they are tricky as to water & temperatures. My favorite type is the Rhizomatous which are similar to Rex but with plainer leaves. . . usually in green patterns with striking veins. These are not as demanding as the Rex & I've found they grow happily alongside violets.

I should mention that I have never wicked begonias as I think they like to dry out slightly.

Terri

• irina_co
    11 years ago

When you bring your begonias home - try to root a leaf or a slice of the leaf - they root easily under the dome and send new babies - your own babies will be better adjusted to your growing conditions,

There is a Begonia society website somewhere - with bunch of useful info.

I.

• Jay Gadsdon
    3 years ago

This my final attempt at rex begonias. I have found them to be rite at home with an open terrarium and plenty of cheap leds and a fan.

• Rosie1949
    3 years ago

I have begonias also, treat them as houseplants. They grow along side my violets as everything else does. I also have miniature ones that each grow in their own terrarium. They are so small they need the help, not unlike the miniature violets. Rosie

• aviolet6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, interesting to see this thread I started 7 years ago. I know now the begonias I was buying from Home Depot or Lowe’s were not Rex begonias. They were I think a hybrid mix of ones that are usually grown outside, but not tuberous ones. So after blooming they were pretty much done. Not sure why they died but that is ok. Not really the kind that are meant to be grown indoors.

I have since found that I can indeed grow a few Rex begonias, but if anyone else is on here wantbig to know if they can be grown with a wick I don’t think that is a good idea. They need to dry some between waterings.

• irina_co
    3 years ago

Still grow Begonias on wicks... add perlite on the bottom, add perlite to the soil, use a skinny wick to keep them from getting soggy. Cannot guarantee that all of them will do well - but since most Rex begonias are not that hard to propagate from leaves - I would suggest to produce some babies and test where they do better. Have fun experimenting.

aviolet6 thanked irina_co
  • petrushka (7b)
    3 years ago

i got better with begonias over the years. they all decline eventually, but the longest period alive (2-3 years) was on wicks.

i have tried rexes and rhizomatous. Rexes are more finicky you still need to watch them carefully all the time even on wicks.

but rhizomatous i was able to leave unattended for a month (i travel).

i have to add that i do not leave them to grow in original mix on wick: it's too heavy. i root leaves and rhizomes in water, transfer to pure perlite and then transfer to a very light mix with lots of perlite: much more perlite then for violets. at least half. that helps to keep them drier, as i also think that they need to be kept drier then AV's.

aviolet6 thanked petrushka (7b)
  • aviolet6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sounds rather like Streptocarpus care.

• Rosie1949
    3 years ago

Actually not too far from it in similarity! Rosie

• petrushka (7b)
    3 years ago

i also keep episcias on wicks. those do very well on wicks for months.

i lay a good layer of LF sphag on top of mix for them to prevent top layer from drying up.

• Rosie1949
    3 years ago

Petrushka I have heard others put sphag on top also for the same reason. If they are on a wick, and the reservoir is always full the top won't dry up. I would leave the top open for good "draw" and exchange of air. I also have mine on wicks and if the top drys out it is because I did an oops,,,,and forgot to refill the reservoir. At least that is my house and my conditions in it. By all means,,,,,do what works best for your enviornment but sphag on mine would not be good. JMO. Rosie

• petrushka (7b)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

it depends on the mix. if your sphag does not dry up it prolly means your mix does not have enough perlite. i grow my epi's in shallow tubs, about 1" of mix. if yours are in deeper pots they will dry up slower..as you say..it all depends :)

as i go away for long periods ...my reservoir does not stay full for long ;). when wicks are unattended, the top layer tends to dry up while the bottom is still ok (when the pot is deep enough..but mine are not! hence sphag)

i also always have some stuff in pure perlite rooting..on wick too. yes, perlite wicks but weakly.

sometimes i add a bit of coir dust (coir peat) to it just on the surface to improve wicking. and in a hurry, sphag on top. both begonias and epi's will root into sphag nicely.

• Rosie1949
    3 years ago

Thanks! Food for thought!!!! Rosie