Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AVs' not flowering under fluorescent

Posted by maisie_2009 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 5, 09 at 21:22

Hi,

My AVs' are not flowering. I have had them under 11 hours of fluorescent light for the last 2 months. The plants are 6" away from the light.

This lamp is a GE model, Kitchen and Bath F15T12-KB (15W).
The lamp also has H738 written on it; if this number has any value.
It seems to throw a bit of a pinkish light (not my personal preference, but I think that means it's got a bit of the red spectrum that is good for flowering, right?)

I give it Miracle-Gro 15-30-15, probably once per month. Is this enough fertilizer to get it flowering? The package says every 2 weeks, but if I do that, the plant will die from overwatering (in my past experience).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AVs' not flowering under fluorescent

I have mine under grow lights that I got at walmart and feed/water weekly per package directions for african violets and mine have started blooming beautifully since i added a room humidifier. I think what mine needed was the extra humidity.

o

Maisie

I think your 15 watt tube is not giving enough light for good blooming. Most growers will use 2 40 watt tubes in their fixture. I have mine under a two tube fixture with two 40 watt bulbs, one cool white and one warm white. Standards are 10-12 inches from tube to plant top, and semis and minis are 6-8 inches, with lights on 10-12 hours a day.

In regards to watering and feeding....make up a mix of your fertilizer at 1/2 strength and use that solution every time you water. That ensures consistency in feeding.

Barbara

o

Hi.
I agree with what Barbara has said, just make sure your mix is light. I use a 1-1-1 mix and I wick my plants. I also wonder when you repotted your plant last. Most AV's like to be repotted every 9-12 months and 4-6 if they are minis or semis. I keep my lights on for 10 hours a day and I use 2-40W cool white tubes in my fixtures. The plants are about 12 inches away from the tubes.
Fred in NJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here