Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what can be causeing this..?

Posted by seattlemarigene pacific northwest (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 08 at 21:48

This is my violet club project plant.It got hairy after I brought it home.One of the club members thought it might be a type of mildew.I dont see any white but I gave it a light spray with lysol.I always put a little stystemic in the pot when I get a new plant and keep it in a clear box...any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what can be causeing this..?

Marigene =

the hairiness is just an indication that your center leaves lost some water. It could be a moving stress. I would try to bag it - and isolate - just in case.

Irina

o

Hello,

Never spray water on an African Violet, they do not like
it. The hairy part is often seen in the different colored
leaf violets-this is normal. Just water it through the
bottom of pot, give it African violet food every third watering. They do need artificial light during the winter
time. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: indoor Greenhouse

o

Hi,
I disagree with the last message about putting water on the leaves. I wash my leaves periodiaclly with warm running tap water to get any bits of dirt off. The thing not to do is put them back in light before they dry. That's why I generally wash at night when the lights of my plant stand are off and there is no sun streaming thru the windows.
Fred in NJ

o

I agree with Fred. My plants seem decidedly perkier when I give them a nice rinse and flush out their soil. Of course, like Fred mentioned, don't ever let them get sun or light on them when they are wet! And make sure you get the water out of the crown leaves. I usually just blow with a straw to flush it out.

Elaine

o

Regarding indoorgardening's recommendation to fertilize every 3rd watering......for me and many others, I fertilize EVERY time I water. Most fertilizers list amounts to use for everytime watering, and for every other, every third, or whatever. If I had to try to remember if this was the third time, I would drive myself nuts!

Barbara, nuts enough

o

Watering with COLD water will spot leaves. Using hot water through a spray turns it much cooler. Just spray your hand with hot water and you will feel the temperature.

I also wash my plants with warm tap water about once a year. When spraying with fertilizer in a foliar spray, I use hot water.

African violets, like birds, prefer small meals, constantally. So 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of warm water and water with this about every 7-10 days depending on the humidity in your room. About one every six weeks, run clear warm water through the rootball to release fertilizer salts.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here