Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daw_etc

Propagation?

daw_etc
15 years ago

Any tips or suggestions for propagating african violets?

Please? :)

-Dani

Comments (7)

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Dani -

look at the FAQ the above the posts - and there is a brief description of how to do it from the leaf. If you want to know more detais - log in into AVSA.org site and look into FAQ there - there is a treasure trough of information.

Good luck

Irina

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

Here's what I do:

1. Get a condiment cup/plastic shot glass/bathroom Solo cup.
    2. Fill it loosely with a light, airy potting mix.
    3. Get your leaf. Use a razor blade/Exacto knife to slice the stem at a 45 degree angle, leaving a stem that is about an inch (or a bit less) long.
    4. Stick this leaf in your potting mix.
    5. Label the cup with the name and date you're starting the leaf.
    6. Wet the potting mix a bit; err on the side of less rather than more, because a soggy mix is more likely to rot the leaf.
    7. Place the whole thing in a plastic baggie. Put your bagged leaf in a cup in a good light source, but no direct sun. Check every week to make sure it didn't dry out, but you should be good for a couple weeks at least.
    8. Wait a couple months. You'll start seeing baby leaves anywhere between then and however long you feel like waiting (it took a year for some of mine!)
    9. Grow these babies until they have dime-sized leaves and look like little plants, then separate them into their own little cups. I keep these bagged too, until they get fairly well-established.

1. Get ready to fight a leaf-starting addiction that takes over every possible space that has light and will fit a plastic baggie, which is just about anywhere (especially if you use CFLs!)
  • daw_etc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much. Wow, a year...that is so long. Haha, Nah, I suppose I can wait. The end result will be worth it.

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

Ha, sorry... don't want you to get the impression that taking a year is standard. Most of mine started within a two month period, and the slow ones took somewhere around 4-6 months. The ones that took a year were odd, and it was probably partially my fault. I'm an underwaterer, and until I learned to put them in baggies, I had a low success rate. It's my opinion that the ones that took so long only did so because they tried to start, got too dry, recovered, and tried again.

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Dani,
    I have a sheet that I can email to you if you are interested. I used to pass it out when I speke to groups on av's. Email me privately and I will send it to you.
    Fred in NJ

• daw_etc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the clarification quinnfyre. :) I think some I started a while ago may have started roots already..very exciting! And I know I'm hooked now since I started having dreams about all my cuttings growing up and flowering. o_O Haha.

• sandrajean
    15 years ago

I just bought a pack of 100 3 oz. Solo cups at Wal-Mart for $1.72. That is the best price I have found.