Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericapayne_gw

colchicine treated violets

ericapayne
13 years ago

Does anyone have a list or violet variety names that are polyploids (double or triple the normal number of chromosomes)?

If you grow these, I'm curious in what ways are they more vigorous? Plant size, flower size, etc.

Thanks,

Erica

Comments (8)

• irina_co
    13 years ago

I think there are 2-3 latest supreme leaf hybrids still around - "Spanish Moss","Texas Hotshot" - are from eighties. The majority of "supremes" were created in 50s, became very popular and faded - the leaves are huge, juicy and VERY brittle.

I found the instruction how to do it - but - remember - colchicine is extremely poisonous, so - probably you do not want it in your house to start with - plus acquiring it won't be easy exactly for this reason. I presume it is available to be purchased by the labs, not by common folk.

Good Luck

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: colchicine

• irina_co
    13 years ago

I think there are 2-3 latest supreme leaf hybrids still around - "Spanish Moss","Texas Hotshot" - are from eighties. The majority of "supremes" were created in 50s, became very popular and faded - the leaves are huge, juicy and VERY brittle.

I found the instruction how to do it - but - remember - colchicine is extremely poisonous, so - probably you do not want it in your house to start with - plus acquiring it won't be easy exactly for this reason. I presume it is available to be purchased by the labs, not by common folk.

Good Luck

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: colchicine

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Sorry - I managed to post it twice someway

• ericapayne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey thanks Irina, I will see if I can find those to try my hand at.

Colchicine has been used for many years to induce polylpoidism in orchids (Blc. Pamela Heatherington "Coronation" 'FCC' comes to mind). The resulting hybrids are alleged to be more vigorous and carry longer-lasting flowers, etc. I had read somewhere about colchicine being used in saintpaulia but it seems the results were not the same so it's use was pretty much abandoned years ago for the reasons you mentioned.

I do have most of the Optimara Everfloris "space violets" that someone mentioned in another forum as having been treated with colchicine and they are doing really well for me.

Kind regards,

Erica

• quimoi
    13 years ago

I didn't realize there were any "Supremes" still around. They may have been available when I began growing since it was long ago, but I never had any.

I was curious about the Everfloris since I didn't recall the colchicine in relation to them and all I found mentioned was radiation. I have 2 and one is blooming and looks promising. The other is very small. I may have had another at one time and tossed it.

My search turned up a note in an african violet newsletter that suggested doing a search on colchicine treated violets. That got more hits that I cared about but you may be interested.

(Colchicine did ring a bell but it must be because I've considered those crocuses many times. Perhaps they are marginally hardy or maybe it's because our crocuses disappear. Now that our dog catches moles, we have a few more.)

Diana

• m3rma1d
    13 years ago

EverFloris aren't Supremes (or Colchicine treated) they were grown from seeds that were sent into space. read here

• buffyfultz
    13 years ago

This is news to me. Didn�t know they were treated to lack of gravity and cosmic radiation for 6 long years!

• fred_hill
    13 years ago

HI,
    I just checked FC2 and found 180 supreme plants listed, Out of the 180 there were only 6 with pictures. Most of them were registered early and bave numbers below 1000, however there are a few more modern ones but not that many. Most of these were registered in the late 80's.
    Fred in NJ