Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabrebuddy

rob's violets

sabrebuddy
15 years ago

HI, EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THE GROUP. I JOINED ABOUT A WEEK OR SO AGO. I HAVE JUST BEEN READING THROUGH THE MESSAGES THAT PEOPLE SEND IN. I'VE READ A LOT OF COMMENTS ABOUT ROB AND HIS VIOLETS. I JUST WANTED TO TELL ALL OF YOU THAT I ONLY ORDER FROM ROB ALMOST ALL MY VIOLETS ARE FROM THE VIOLET BARN,AS A MATTER OF FACT I JUST RECIEVED A ORDER FROM HIM TODAY,ALLTHE VIOLETS ALL ELEVEN OF THEM WERE JUST PERFECT NOT A LEAVE WAS BROKE AND SOME OF THEM ARE EVEN BLOOMING. I THINK IT IS GREAT TO ORDER FROM HIM AT ANY TIME OF THE YEAR. TERRI

Comments (9)

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Terry -

I like them too - the way how they pack and I love Olive Ma Robinson varieties - do not grow many minis or semis - so I do not have many Rob's plants. And they always have super interesting and rare gesneriads. That's where my money goes.

So I am their fan too - though not in CAPITAL LETTERS ;-))

i.

• sabrebuddy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi I, sorry about the capitals had it on and didn't know till i was done. I am also the same when it comes to the small ones I have a bad habit of killing them. but this time I am going to try again I bought Golden eye and also a trailer rob's sailor bill. This may sound funny but I like the leaves far better than the flowers -terri

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Terry -

I believe that Rob's semi-mini trailers are the top. For the show especially. The flowers are not large - but they can be super abundant. The plant practically doesn't need shaping- it branches easily and creates the full pot.

The one semi-mini that always grows superbly for me is Rob's Boondoggle. And it is different. And it is unkillable.

Love it

irina

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I have a few of Ralphs hybrids in my collection that are really nice and good growers. There was a point during the late 90's where he put out a bunch of violets that looked brown. Sarsparilla was one of them. I could never stand that plant and never understood why some people loved it. I also grew around the same time, Rob's Antique Rose. While I had it in my collection, it grew too large. I had forgotten about it on the top shelf at the back of my stand and when I pulled it out to see what it was, I was surprised to see that the semi igrew to over 11 inches across. My point in telling this is that if you ever intend to exhibit his plants just make sure they conform to the size requirements. It happens to many of his little ones.
    fred in NJ

• sabrebuddy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fred- when it comes to anything small I have a habit of killing it I could really use some tips on keeping the two small ones alive that I just purchased from Rob's-Terri

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

HI Terri,
    I keep all my semis and minis wicked and in 3oz Solo bathroom cups. I try to repot them every 4 - 6 months and keep them under light about 12" below the lights.
    Fred in NJ

• irina_co
    15 years ago

I cannot stand Rob's Antique Rose. The flowers after they age a bit - look disgusting. And there so many of them on the shows - you wonder - why our judging approach doesn't include the esthetic value.

I had Rob's Dust Storm - and I loved it - but you need to watch it - it can become a small standard in a hurry.

irina

• mortswife97630
    15 years ago

Hi, I also recently ordered 10 AVs from The Violet Barn. They arrived with maybe one broken leaf, and some are budding already. I have high praise for the Violet Barn and Rob's. But there are so many......... :-)
    I just planted some leaves. I put a scoop of potting soil in the corner of a sandwich bag, a little water and stuck the leaf in, folder it over and stapled the top, then set it in a tiny pot under my growing light.
    I can't wait for spring. It's snowing to beat the band right now.

• irina_co
    15 years ago

MW -

You need to fill your new wooden shelf - and it sure helps to survive the winter.

Best wishes and best blooms to you.

Irina