Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary246

water ph and the side effects

Mary246
10 years ago

What are the side effect of using water that is too alkaline? The department of water says our water has a ph of 9.4. Thank you for your input.
Mary

Comments (11)

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Mary
    A lot of people will want to weigh in on this and help you out. So I will defer to their replies. But just wanted to let you know that there is a series of web podcasts called "All About African Violets" done by "Annie" (The name she uses in the world of AVs.) She has done at least one podcast on testing for pH. She has about 65 or 70 podcasts that are each about 45 minutes long. You might enjoy listening to some of
    these.
    Joanne

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Mary -

your AVs will turn brown and die. You coffee tastes awful.
    Usually such high Ph is combined with high content of salts. Check the second number - Total Dissolved Solids (TDS). For plants (and for yourself) it is better to have it about 150ppm. If it is close to 1000 ppm and above - it is not drinkable.

After you get this info - you decide if you need a filter for cooking and drinking and watering your AVS. If your TDS is not high - you can correct Ph with vinegar.

• Mary246
    Original Author
    10 years ago

irina: It seems that every time I water my violets a leaf on each plant will turn mushy and rotten. I will start adjusting the ph with vinegar and see if that helps the situation. Thank you. Mary

• sjbaby
    10 years ago

how do adjust with vinegar?

• Mary246
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sbaby 4
    You adjust by putting in a tiny amount of vinegar. It depends what the ph is as to how much vinegar. I bought ph test strips from Walmart in the Fish area....and started checking the ph. Then I bought a Brita filtering system yesterday and it is helping with the ph and by using that I probably won't have to use vinegar (according to the test strips). I would like to get a ph meter but I hesitate to commit the money to get a good one. Mary

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Did you compare the taste of your coffee and tea when made with Brita filtered water?

irina the coffee addict

• Mary246
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry, Irina. I don't drink coffee but I do use a Soda stream to make pop.........and it tastes "cleaner".
    Mary

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

I found out recently that my water is too alkaline.. How much vinegar should I try for a gallon of water? Thanks.

• Mary246
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Perle
    I ended up getting a Brita water filter and it helped a lot with the ph. It is one of the pitchers that has a filter you change every couple of months.
    The amount of vinegar depends on your own water. There is no magic amount that works for everyone.
    Mary

• irina_co
    10 years ago

You mix a gallon of water with your usual fertilizer - and work your strips and vinegar until it gets to be 6.3-6.7 Ph. Let it sit for half an hour before each remeasuring. I would think you need to adjust for rainy - melting season.

I.

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

Thanks so much. Will try this soon.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor