Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franknjim

A new addiction has begun

franknjim
12 years ago

Hi, I am Frank. I am a hostaholic who is diving into the world of AV's. I remember seeing the AV's of old that were always pink or purple. I was blown away to see what they look like today. I really enjoy propagating hostas, annuals and perennials and when I read how easy it is to propagate AV's I knew I had to do it. Being that it is the middle of Winter it wasn't all that easy to find what I needed to get started when it comes to the greenery. I did find one grower that offers winter shipping of plants and leaves. Lyndon Lyon. I am starting out with eighteen leaves. Thirty dollars shipping but I don't want to wait. Seventeen Standards and one Russian.

Apache Brave

{{gwi:360735}}
Blue Mink

{{gwi:360736}}
Bob Serbin

{{gwi:360737}}
Buffalo Hunt

{{gwi:360738}}
Caribbean Blue

{{gwi:360739}}
Cosmic Art

{{gwi:360740}}
Halo's Aglitter

{{gwi:360741}}
Home Fires

{{gwi:360742}}
Jazzy Jewel

{{gwi:360743}}
Lacy Lass

{{gwi:360744}}
Lyon's Midnight Waves

{{gwi:360746}}
Lyon's Party Dress

{{gwi:360748}}
Lyon's Spectacular

{{gwi:360749}}
Marina

{{gwi:360751}}
Optical Illusion

{{gwi:360752}}
Pink Duchess

{{gwi:360753}}
Blue Tapestry

{{gwi:360754}}
Russian:

Mystic Mermaid

{{gwi:360755}}

I have been reading as much as possible online all over the place as to the methods and care. I already had lots of peat and perlite so I went out and bought a bag of vermiculite today. I have new 1020 trays, 72 cell inserts and domes. I ordered thirty 2 1/2", thirty 3" and thirty 4" pots to get me started. I am thinking to eventually go over to either semi hydro or wicking down the road. I have a large three level T5 lighted seedling cart plus seventeen dual lamp shoplights since I do a bit of seed starting and will also be doing some hosta seed starting next winter after I start hybridizing hostas this year.

Once I get this rolling I think I want to get into Chimeras. I really liked the look of them. They would be more of a challenge to propagate since they can't be done with leaf cuttings. I am also looking forward to trading with others. I do a lot of that with hostas already but it will be easier with AV's since you don't have to go out and dig up the yard.

I still need to pick up a couple of the right fertilizers. One to grow and one to show. I will be getting a couple reference books as well. I can hardly wait to have some of those gorgeous huge plants. The variegated leaves are awesome.

Can you tell that I am excited?

Comments (12)

• bunnycat
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello Frank, and welcome to the AV forum!

Another hosta addict joins us! You are so cooked. You already are a full-blown hosta addict, so it should be no surprise to see you jump into the deep end over here. At least the highest prices for violets are closer to the lowest for hostas.

A few differences...hostas are sturdier and easier to trade and ship. They can also survive neglect and being on their own outdoors. No such luck with AVs. They definitely require more constant attention. But many flower almost continuously and give immense gratification.

I love LLGs violets. That he grows them in a greenhouse in natural as well as flourescent lighting makes for easier transition to household conditions IMHO.

I can't wait to visit there again!

Hope to see pictures of your AV babies in their new digs!

~Bunnycat (also a hostaholic)

• snappyguy
    12 years ago

Welcome to the addiction! Lyndon Lyon hybridized plants are fantastic. Great vigor, and huge blossoms. I keep some myself. Chimeras are beautiful, if a little unstable. Some will sport/revert back to solid colors on you, but it's all part of keeping them. My personal favorite is Yukako. It seems to be very stable and blooms heavily. There is a company that specializes in chimeras: avchimera.com. They will ship during the winter too. Violetbarn.com carries a plant called "Rob's Lucky Number" that is both a blossom and leaf chimera. It's the only double chimera I know of. Best of luck in your new hobby!

Mark

• franknjim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I placed my order for the leaves on Monday and they just arrived here today on Wednesday. They sent two of each. I was tickled to see that. The leaves were nice and firm but I trimmed the ends a little and have them all sitting in little Solo cups of RO filtered water with the labels I made for each leaf.

I already have plenty of space under fluorescent lights for them as I make leaves into small plants into big monster plants but I am already planning on adding more shelves and lights just for the AV's. I baby my hostas constantly. I water about every other day unless we get a good long rain. I buy many tissue culture hostas so those always get babied. The AV's will fit right in because I am like a mother goose over the babies. I tend them constantly, never go on vacations or anywhere else that keeps me from taking care of my plants and house full of pets. Five dogs, two cats, two parrots and a snake.

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.
    {{gwi:360758}}
    Apache Brave. This one actually has pink variegation. I had never seen any variegation on an AV before. I can hardly wait until I have huge plants!
    {{gwi:360760}}
    Home Fires. White variegation.
    {{gwi:360761}}
    Lacy Lass. I love the scalloped edges. I am a big fan of fancy foliage.
    {{gwi:360762}}
    The date stamp on the pictures is wrong. I just bought a new camera over the weekend and I was off by a day when I set it. My bad.

This is my new plant growing area in the basement. I will build something similar down there for growing out a bunch of AV's but without the pond liner. I will propagate and grow the baby AV's upstairs on my big seedling cart and under the other shoplights I have set up upstairs.
    {{gwi:3475}}
    I get the feeling that I know where all of this is going to end up. Once I get everything down pat I will probably end up showing. I just think these AV's are gorgeous and they should be shared. I also love giving things away to brighten someones day so these will fit right in. The recipients will also receive proper education into the care of their gifts with me as a source of information and rescue of the plants as needed.

This is a picture of the kind of seedling cart I have upstairs. The pictures I take of mine don't look right since I have so many other plant lights lit up in the room.
    {{gwi:360763}}

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Welcome to the Violetoholics Bedlam, fellow addict!

Anyway - the limitation is - 15 min per plant per week. The leaf is small - full grown standard plant will take a square foot or more. If you keep both things in mind - you are Ok, otherwise it will look like a cat hoarder house with plants on a top of one another dying from neglect.
    So if you put down a standard leaf - count square footage on your shelves. Large ones ...2 per tray is the most = 8 per shelf.

Believe me - I KNOW ;-OO

• snappyguy
    12 years ago

I thought you might also like to take a look at this site: http://www.odavs.com/id8.html. It shows all the variability in blooms and leaves. There's a lot! When I first started all I knew of AVs were purple single pansies with plain, medium-green foliage. Also, check out avsa.org, the African Violet Society of America. They are the international registration society for african violets. Their site will tell you if there is an AV club in your area. Club members are a wealth of information.

• franknjim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I kind of figured 18" and 24" deep shelves that I will build with mature standards taking up anywhere between 18" to 24" of width per plant. They definately won't be crammed together. They will be done the same way I place my hostas. I plan things based on mature size and not the current size when spacing plants for planting. I want them to be seen, not smooshed together so you can't really see the entire plant in its true form.

{{gwi:360764}}

• Christine
    12 years ago

Welcome to the world of African Violets! You have some nice varieties and the leaves look great. Please keep us posted on your growing progress.

• terrilou
    12 years ago

Its wonderful to greet a new addict! I envy you all your growing space. Now you will just have to find the patience to wait for the mouse like ears to show. . . sometimes it seems like it takes forever!

• franknjim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I actually need the time it will take for the leaves to make babies. I am reading as much info as possible right now and collecting all of the things that I will need. I have ninety new pots ordered in 2 1/2", 3" and 4". Yesterday I ordered the book Grow to Show. I have to pick up a bale of vermiculite and probably another bale of perlite since I am down to about a 1/4 bale. I still need to get both of the correct fertilizers, one for growing and the other for blooming, maintainence tools, leaf support rings, more light fixtures, more plant trays and saucers. I am sure there will be more added to my growing list once I read that book.

My goal is to be able to grow some of those giant standards with perfect leaves. It will take a lot of time and a lot of work but ever since I saw some photos of show entries I knew that was what I wanted to go for. I wil definately grow many untidy plants just for their blooms but certain varities that I have started and probably a few others that I will get will be groomed daily to grow them similar to these pictures below that I found on google.
    {{gwi:360765}}
    {{gwi:360813}}

• suecirish
    12 years ago

I just wanted to say welcome as well. Sounds you are jumping right in with a full-blown addiction. Fantastic! Looking forward to hearing of your progress.

Sue

• jan_on zone 5b
    12 years ago

Hey Frank - I just popped over from hostas to see how the new babies are doing -- time for an update yet?? (I have no idea how quickly they grow.)
    Jan

• franknjim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had thought it would take a month before I started seeing mouse ears but it has been closer to 7 weeks before I started seeing any. So far twelve varieties have plantlets growing, five aren't showing any yet and one variety didn't make it. I think I am doing ok considering I have never done this before.

A few days ago I rescued three Optimara minis in little self watering ceramic pots from Lowes. I figured they would be good for practice to start with on cleaning them up.

The leaves that have mouse ears:
    Lyon's Party Dress
    Lacy Lass
    Lyon's Spectacular
    Pink Duchess
    Cosmic Art
    Buffalo Hunt
    Caribbean Blue
    Blue Tapestry
    Apache Brave
    Marina
    Home Fires
    Mystic Mermaid (Russian)

I am still waiting on:
    Jazzy Jewel
    Optical Illusion
    Halo's Aglitter
    Bob Serbin
    Blue Mink

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!