Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pansyloverandgrower

Why wont plant bloom?

I have a standard sized plant. I got it from the store, in a 4" pot, you know, the regular size you buy plants. It had real pretty purple with white edged blooms. I got it in around April 2010. It bloomed for about 1-2 months then stopped, so its been at least 9 months since bloom. It is in a 4" inch pot still. it is not root-bound, i dont think i can even see the roots. it seems healthy, the soil is absorbing water. I give it fertilizer all year except december and january. It recieves good light, i have about 20 other plants(cyclamen, african violets, orchid, venus fly trap, kalanchoe, and some others), and they are all doing good, blooming, growing. What am i doing wrong? it doesnt seem to be doing much, but the leaves are not dying, it just doesnt seem to be growing fast. ill post a pic later too. Please help me!

Comments (8)

• pansyloverandgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I also must add that there are some shrubs(but the branches are not very dense at all), and the windowsil is not very cold or hot. Plant does not seem to be "reaching upward". i am getting a grow light soon(for starting seeds). do you think i should try that? i have 4 other african violets, same size plant, same size pot. They are blooming too. HELP!!

• m3rma1d
    13 years ago

"it is not root-bound, i dont think i can even see the roots."

Well there's part of the problem... African violets LIKE to be root-bound, that is part of what keeps them happily blooming. :-) When is the last time you repotted? Is it still in the same soil it came in when you bought it?

• quimoi
    13 years ago

It may also need a bit more light, but be cautious about an increase or you will "burn" the leaves. What else grows well there? A light set up for seed starting is probably too strong for your plant, although it may work afterward.

I grow violets in windows and some will bloom in one window while others will not.

(This is in addition to the above advice.)

Diana

• pansyloverandgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A month ago i took the plant out of the pot and gave it new soil. All the plants i listed before are in the window and blooming. It is in different soil i meant

• erinsean
    13 years ago

I have flourescent lights under my kitchen cupboards and that is where I have my AV's. Seems just enough light for them and they (3) are constantly blooming. I use the self watering pots and put a couple drops of violet fertilizer in the water every three weeks. I have a tendency to overwater my plants but seems with the self watering pots they do okay. I have planted AV in a plastic "butter tub", cut slits in the bottom and put the tub in a saucer with water....works just as well and I can regulate the waterings better.

• garden_girl80
    13 years ago

I am having the same problem with my one AV. I was looking up what could be wrong online, here is a link I found that might help:

http://www.avsa.org/VioletBloom.htm

I am going to try some of the tips, even the silly one listed at the bottom! Good luck with yours, I hope it starts to bloom soon.

• pansyloverandgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ya i tried that a few months ago and nothing helped. but i appreciate the effort to help!!! I think it just might be the faint winter sun since they were all blooming VERY well in the summer! And i just noticed less blooms being produced around october.

• fred_hill
    13 years ago

Hi pansy lover,
    I would say that your av needs to be repotted in a light mix.
    Additional light would be a help after it is repotted. Don't keep it anywhere near that cyclamen because it could get cyclamen mites which would deal a death blow to your AV.
    Fred in NJ