Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m3rma1d

Patience? Schmatience!

m3rma1d
16 years ago

Ok, so I broke a couple leaves off my Opt. Little Azurite whislt finally grooming the wiley hoards of suckers it had on it.

(Which I'd previously posted about here.)

I sent the suckers off in a swap, but tossed a coupla the leaves into my little cups and put them with all the other things in the "maternity ward" muffin package thingy..

That was March 16th.

Today I happened to look (Well, it's after 1am now, so technically "yesterday" but whatever), and there's babies! Not just any babies, but babies that look like they're about couple days old! So that'd be a whopping 10 days after putting the leaf down. (And even if I'm somehow wrong and these leaves were just sprouting yesterday, that's only 12 days so who cares)

{{gwi:360940}}
Note the date on the cup! :-)

{{gwi:360941}}
Disregard the date on the dime--just put it in there to show scale! :-)

I know people have reported getting babies even quicker than this, and yeah this (and those other examples) is kinda a freak occurance--But still, what a lovely treat for someone as impatient as I am (aren't we all sometimes haha!)

Comments (23)

• bspofford
    16 years ago

I'd say the blessings of the angels are upon you and your nursery!

Leaves I got from you on the 8th of February are just starting to show babies, and I thought that was fast. Little Cheyenne Girl is a poppin' all over!

Barbara

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

ON the other hand, I have a leaf of Powwow down for over 6 months now and still a no show. Still waiting for it to show some signs of life.
    Fred in NJ

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"I'd say the blessings of the angels are upon you and your nursery!"

HAHA!! Barbara I hadn't even thought of it--but yer right, I bet it is them!! I wish they'd kick all my other leaves in the booty while they're at it, tho!

For anyone wondering what the heck we're talking about, I live in a 4th floor ap. where there's a BIG HUGE Catholic church down the street, and here's the view from the window where my violet stand is:
    {{gwi:360942}}

And here's a zoomed-in view:
    {{gwi:360943}}

So pretty... I'm not Catholic, but that is one pretty view no matter what--And I like to think Jesus & his angel pals (or whoever they are) are blessing my stand

• haxuan
    16 years ago

That is certainly very fast! Congratulations!

Xuan

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

Hi,
    Im new to this forum but not to growing AF's I just wondered what you used on your leaf before you planted it? Thanks!

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

Hi Cindee,
    It is recommended that you don't use anything on leaves when putting them d odwn for new growth. Rooting mediums tend to produce massive root networks and hinder the production of plantlets.
    Fred in NJ

• Christine
    16 years ago

I need to put my leaves around the monitor to inspire them to get with the program like Opt. Little Azurite. I just finished potting up a baby (alas, an only child) from a leaf I started in Feb. 2007! Another 2/2007 leaf has a baby, but the others don't. Way to go m3rma1d!

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Im new to this forum but not to growing AF's I just wondered what you used on your leaf before you planted it? Thanks!"

Cindee--I used nothing but a sharp blade to get a nice angled cut on the stem. (then put in my mix, moistened with plain ole tap water)

I'm with Fred regarding all those rooting hormones and stuff--I steer clear of all that when it comes to my leaves.

I don't want a cup full of roots, I want a cup full of babies! :-)

• violetta1976
    16 years ago

That window shot is hysterical!

I put a bunch of leaves down last September, and most of them are just NOW showing baby leaves.

• bspofford
    16 years ago

Fred and Violetta....maybe you need to improve the view of your leaves.......maybe something with mountains or the beach.......

Barbara

• bunnycat
    16 years ago

..or maybe a garden angel

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hahaha wouldn't it be funny if A/V growers turned my window into one of those "Miracle Site" thingies, and people came from all around to rest their leaves on my stand for a blessing?

I wouldn't even charge admission.
    (Well ok, maybe a "Suggested Donation" of a coupla miniature leaves.)

• susan_kc
    16 years ago

I have to ask...how is your shelf attached to that window and how did you do the reservoirs? That would open up all kinds of possibilities...

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"I have to ask...how is your shelf attached to that window and how did you do the reservoirs?"

The reservoir-thingies are little plastic trays.

The "shelf" attached to the window is a soap holder thingy with suction cups, purchased in the bathroom fixtures dept at most shops... I got the idea 'cos I liked the "Violets Do Windows" the Selective Gardener sells (minis with a self-watering reservoir that sticks to a window with a suction cup), but wasn't about to pay $30 for a set of 4 :-p

• paul_
    16 years ago

m3rmald, happy looking bunch of plants. :)

So pretty... I'm not Catholic, but that is one pretty view no matter what--And I like to think Jesus & his angel pals (or whoever they are) are blessing my stand

The 'pal' on Jesus's right (left side of screen) looks like the Virgin Mary. Not sure about the one on the right side. Often it is Joseph but it could also be the church's patron saint or the angel Gabriel.

• violetta1976
    16 years ago

"The "shelf" attached to the window is a soap holder thingy with suction cups, purchased in the bathroom fixtures dept at most shops..."

PURE GENIUS.

(*runs out to go buy soap holder thingies*)

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, I thought it was pretty clever too :-D

• violetta1976
    16 years ago

Are you worried at all that they might fall?

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, hasn't so far & that one's been up since December... We'll see if there's any slippage when the temps go higher due to Spring/Summer, but I doubt it. :-)

• aharriedmom
    11 years ago

I searched out this thread because I just ran across the "Violets Do Windows" pots on Optimara and didn't know if I had run across something new & exciting (I figured I hadn't, hence the search of "suction cups").

I like the idea of the shower thing as a stand - much cheaper than trying to find shelves that will perfectly hold my violets! Thanks!

• irina_co
    11 years ago

AHM -

hubby pool table is cheaper - because it is already at home.

Anyway - I wouldn't do the suction cups contraption. If your soap box will drop in your bathroom - you will pick it up, smear with more soap and glue it back. A plant will break to pieces and you can only restart it from a leaf or hopefully there is some of the crown left to reroot. And suction cup will disconnect, the question is only when. It is plastic or resin = and these materials deteriorate from a sunlight.

I.

• jshwartzer
    11 years ago

Hi All!
    This thread is very funny, and I can identify! I love the church view and humor attached. I truly am impatient, and like the fact that some of you are, too! I also like the reminder that a watched pot takes longer to boil, etc. These plants will give babies when they are good and ready! LOL The combination of proper temperatures (warmth better than cold), planting the petioles not too deep, and not utilizing a container that is overly large (smaller is better) seem to all factor into the equation.

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

The secret to AV patience is to have plants blooming while others are growing.

AV's will bloom for many months ... by the time blooming has died down, your new violets have matured and you'll have others ready to bloom.

Keep 'em cycling.