Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingevald

Searching for Vintage - Veronika

ingevald
14 years ago

Hello,

I am searching for a vintage violet called Veronika. It is an Optimara variety from the Rhapsodie series, 1974 (Patent number 3515). I have searched the web and am not finding it in any collections. If you know of someone who has it or if you have some more research ideas, I would appreciate the help. You can respond here or find my e-mail under my profile.

Thanks,

Ingevald

Comments (13)

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Ingevald,
    I checked Optimara.com here in the USA but it isn't listed. I suspect that it's a variety that was grown in Germany for European consumption. I also tried to find a conection to Holtkamp in Germany but to no avail. You might try emailing Opimara.com to see if they can give you a lead on the hybrid.
    Sorry I conuldn't help.
    Fred in NJ

• ingevald
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fred -
    Thanks for taking the time to answer. I had this variety in 1975 but lost it along the way. A note to Optimara sounds like the way to go.

Ingevald

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Ingevald -

i am quite sure that it is gone for good. Since you grew it - you remember how it looked like - and it is time to gove a chance to a new variety with similar features. I would say most of the plants are goners in 20 years.

Irina

• ingevald
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Irina,
    Thanks for your valid perspective on this topic. I do agree that it has likely vanished from cultivation. I imagine that most older varieties remain in existence if they had a special outstanding characteristic or were the winner of awards from that far back in time. I remember this one as dark blue (I could be off slightly due to a slight colorblindness issue), medium sized single flower. I have seen others that have similar characteristics and may choose one of them at some point in time.

Ingevald

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Ingevald -

you look at the Selectivegardener.com - and check on Optimara series. Margit - is the bluest. You can purchase leaves from them and have full house of blue blooming violets.

I do not grow Optimaras except Rhapsodie Cora. If I would be thinking about which blue I like the best - The King -it is double royal blue - it grows in a naturally perfect rosette, and the flowers are long lasting. The most stunning dark blue single star - is "African Night" - the plant is kind of floppy - and the leaves break easily - but the flowers are astonishing. But if you want a "workhorse" - good bloomer, not that picky - Optimara Barbara, or Margit, or Evelyn, or Rebecca- these will be just right.

Irina

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Irina,
    FYI. I have been told that Max Maas preferred Frankie over the king.
    Fred in NJ

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Fred -

I am going to fly to NJ and ask you nicely for the leaves. You tempt me immensely.

I have Maas' Legacy, Memories, Janet. Sashah, Arbor Glen, Chris and The King. So far - Janet and The King are my favorites.

Irina

• robitaillenancy1
    14 years ago

Ingevald,

When you write to Holtkamp, remember to ask also for Rhapsodie Veronica, R. Veronika. Most ladies names carried the prefix Rhapsodie.

Nancy

• snappyguy
    14 years ago

Veronika is a Rhapsodie series plant. Here's a link to the very limited info the Optimara site has about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhapsodie Veronika

• irina_co
    14 years ago

I am sure that if they do not even remember what color it was - it is definitely gone.

Irina

• angelw453
    13 years ago

I have the Russian AV named Veronika, which I purchased from the Ukraine, but the hybridizer is BOS (not sure who that is). Here is a link to the picture of blooms from the plant my leaves came from:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31279656&l=2dcdedd035&id=1367875345

Here is a link that might be useful: Veronika

• angelw453
    13 years ago

I have the Russian AV named Veronika, which I purchased from the Ukraine. Here is a link to the picture of blooms from the plant my leaves came from:

Here is a link that might be useful: Veronika

• juliebees2009
    13 years ago

oh my i looked for that same violet a few years back I was in high school when that violet was popular and mom had so many of them she wanted me to name my first born Veronica how i remember it, also it was the girls name on scoobie doo cartoon,
    thank goodness i only had a son I would never heard the end of it I was so scared she was going to mention vernion for a boy whew....as time went on now she has passed I do wish I had took some of her AV pots and kept them but I just wasnt thinking when she died and they did to.
    if you ever find Veronika please also let me know as I will you. i can remember all those rows on the window sill in the kitchen even now as I type this I am tearing up I need to go.
    good luck.