Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Babies on petioles?

Posted by whitelacey (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 2:08

Tonight while I was potting up some babies, I came across a leaf that had babies growing from the petiole as well as the cut end. They were growing all the way up to the point where the petiole and leaf come together. Although I know violets will propagate in several different ways, I have never experienced this one before. Has anyone ever had this experience?
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Babies on petioles?

Did see plantlets even all over leaf blade.
If they are good size - you remove them accurately - and they will root if covered.

irina

o

They were pretty tiny so I left them on the leaf and re-potted it. Pretty fascinating, though. I had never seen this before.

Thanks,
Linda

o

Leaf - removed from the plant - usually is growing babies at the cut - so if you damage the surface of the leaf - like nick the veins - you can get babies at these wounds - but sometimes it goes banana and starts producing babies all over. Probably depends on the amount of growth hormone the leaf produces as a reaction to the cut trying to heal the cut. So your petiole could have a scratch on it that created a growth point.

I.

o

It was interesting because I also noted that the petiole had split in two at some point while it was planted. (Also something I've never seen before.) There were babies along the split which didn't surprise me but the babies near the leaf looked like they were growing from a solid surface. So maybe there was a nick by the leaf that I didn't see. Sounds like an experiment opportunity!
Thanks,
Linda

o

I get the same effect c my Begonias. I'll have to start experimenting c my AV and see what happens...
Funny how two totally unrelated plants can possess such similar adaptations.

o

I think it is an adaptation of fast growing humid tropical climate plants. They grow fast, the tissue is soft and juicy - and torn pieces root easily and produce new plants let's say after rain - flood - animal damage. It is not working in dry climate plants because any wound dries and small plantlets wouldn't survive.

I.

o

Convergent evolution at work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here