siracuzi
17 years ago

What's correct PH range for AV?

And what PH is acid and what's not?

Comments (6)

• erlyberd
    17 years ago

6.5-6.8ph

Below 7.0 is acdic, 7.0 is neutral, above 7.0 is alkaline. The ph scale runs from 0 to 12

Most plants like ph between 6.0-7.0 but there are exceptions such as evergreens, blueberries etc.

• katlady4
    15 years ago

My PH in the water mixed with fertilizer (Jack's Classic 12-36-14) tests close to 6.2. Water from the faucet tests at about 8.4. Does the fertilizer change the PH? I used acquarium Quick Dip test strips. Wondering if this is an accurate way to test.
    Kathy

• korina
    15 years ago

Yes, fertilizer changes the pH, and no, strips are not accurate. When you add fert to water, wait 20 minutes and test again; you may get different results. 6.2 isn't that bad; I think Rob grows his at 5.8 or so.

Korina, running back to lurker land

• larry_b
    15 years ago

HI,

I would worry too much about checking for pH and instead pay attention to how long it's been since you last repotted. After about 6 months sphagnum starts to break down and that process begins to make the soil acid. That acidity makes it difficult for the violet to pick up nutrients. If you repot in a timely manner, you really don't have to check pH.

Of course a very alkali water could upset that balance. If you have that problem, then you might try to find a remedy for that. Soft water is not a remedy though. It's salty. I really have never met anyone who needed to treat their water for their house plants or African violets.

I hope this helps.

Larry

• curtis0353
    15 years ago

For those who make their own potting mixture, pH can be a very big issue. A lot of people will use a 1-1-1 peat, perlite, and vermiculite mix, as I do. Peat can be very acidic, and I have found that without adding a signficant amount of dolomite lime to this mixture you can easily have a mixture that will test in the 4.5 pH range. This is 100 times more acidic than 6.5 pH and can lead to all kinds of problems over time. Since some peat is more acidic than other peat, the only way that I have found to get my potting mixture in the ideal 6.5-6.8 range is by pH testing when I mix my ingredients.

Curtis

• korina
    15 years ago

*Or*, you can skip the whole soil issue and go hydroculture and only have to worry about pH in one direction!

Or, y'know, not.

Korina