Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vic_nick

potting up AV's

vic_nick
16 years ago

Hi all,

I read an interesting article about the Texas-style potting method, in "Growing To Show" by Paulinde Bartholomew. Has anyone ever used this potting method? I would like to know how well it did or did not work? This method seems logical and I'm seriously thinking about giving it a try. My conceren is that everyone I know is wicking their AV's.

Thank you,

Vic

Comments (12)

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

HI Vic,
    I used it at one point when I grew and it works really well, however I now grow all my plants on wicks simply because I don't have to water that often when wicking.
    Fred in NJ

• korina
    16 years ago

Heck, I gave up soil altogether! I'm slowly converting all my plants to hydroculture; search the forum for an older thread called 'semi-hydroponics'. It's very long and infromative.

I was surprised at just how quickly and how well my two standards adapted (I'm kinda short of AVs right at the moment). Buffalo Hunt is currently blooming its fool head off, while Hawaiian Pearl is recovering from a bad case of soil mealys.

I've heard good things about Texas watering, although I imagine it would work best for standards, as you'd be spending rather too much of your day watering minis.

Good luck, and experiment!

Korina, mad scientist in-training

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

Hi,
    Korinas idea of hydroponics sounds interesting, however, I would hesitate to use it because I don't know how I would show my plants at my local or regional shows. I have no idea how the judges would accept plants growing in liquid exclusively.
    Fred in NJ

• bspofford
    16 years ago

And, how will we find out?

Fred, as a judge, is this something that can be brought up with your judging peers?

Barbara

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

Sorry guys, Ddon't have another judges council meeting till the end of June. If you are really curious about this question I suggest you email Bill Foster at AVSA.
    Fred

• korina
    16 years ago

Eh, just cover the whole mess with aluminum foil and pretend it's dirt. :-)

Korina

• bspofford
    16 years ago

I submitted the question to Bill Foster.

Barbara

• lilypad22
    16 years ago

I just got back from Dixie AV convention. Some of the prize winning and Best of Show were grown with the Texas method. He repots up half a size about every 8-12 weeks. He has each plant sitting in an individual saucer and only refills it when it goes dry. His plants were stunning!
    tish

• lizfm
    16 years ago

This is a question I've always had about Texas style...how often the plants were watered, if they were allowed to go dry, etc.

So basically, the way it is described by lilypad22 above, it's a 'wicking' type method, without the actual wick? The rock material or perlite or whatever you use in the bottom of the pot, 'wicks' the water/fertilizer solution up to the soil layer?

If this is the case, why does it work better for big standards (as I hear it does) than wicking with a wick? The porous layer on the bottom of the pot?

I am experimenting with 'wicking-with-a-wick' while also leaving a perlite layer on the bottom of the pot. I started doing this when I was afraid I didn't have my wick size down pat and I might over-water with a too-large wick. It seems to be working just fine.

• irina_co
    16 years ago

Ladies - do not forget that EVERYTHING grows big in Texas.
    High humidity and warm temperatures contribute to the lush and large look.

I.

• lilypad22
    16 years ago

He said he thought it was better than using a wick because the moisture was more evenly absorbed into the (course) perlite and then soil layer. The plant doesn't really dry out, as you refil the saucer when the water has been all used up, there is still moisture in the perlite and soil. Also he waters about once a week.

If you travel and will be away from home, the advantage of wicking is you can fill a larger resourvour with water to last for two weeks or more. Apparently he only uses saucers, I didn't think to ask why he couldn't put the plant into a larger saucer to last longer as some people on this forum use Texas with pots in a tray of water...the point to the program was how "he" grew large award winning plants, and "he" uses a saucer for each plant...about a 6" for standards and 4" for smaller pots. His standards were about 18 inches across!..I wish I had a tape measure with me.

• bspofford
    16 years ago

Bill Foster responded to the question, so I started a new thread titled 'hydroponics and show plants" and posted his response.

Barbara

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner