Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small homemade pots?

Posted by tom_n_6bzone Western Maryland 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 08 at 8:18

Can anyone give me ideas on how to make small inexpensive (free is nice) pots for my AV seedlings that sprouted a few weeks ago?

It is time to move the 12 or so out of the clear plastic container that I sprouted them in. They are still very tiny so I need small containers.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't wish to pay an arm, a leg, or even a finger for this.

~tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small homemade pots?

Try plastic solo bathroom cups. (You can get a lot for the cost of a fingernail) Just punch a hole in the bottom for drainage.

o

Thank you very much. I went CVS at lunch and they had a good sized quantity of opaque plastic 3 oz. Solo cups so I bought them for 2.69.

~tom

o

You also can pick up other people's garbage...........Now hold on and here is the rest of the story.

There is a coffeemaker called a Kuerig. It uses a 2 ounce cup that has the coffee and filter in it. Perfect size for smaller leaves. Many public places that serve coffee use these 'K-cups' and if you spot one, take home the used cups and clean them out. You may also be able to buy these in party supply stores as cups for 'jello shots'.

I was near Monticello in Virginia in a general store. They were serving samples of a drink in a small plastic cup, bigger than a creamer, smaller than a K-cup. Yes, I asked for the plastic bag sitting near there where the empty cups were tossed.

I make sure I explain what I want the cups for, after all, I don't want people to think I'm wierd! However, my niece now makes me promise that I won't be asking to take any of the garbage home when we go in some place.

I was given a baby mini in a creamer cup, cute!

Barbara

o

Neat Barbara! My seedlings are Mini's from Parks. I can't wait to find cute containers too.

~tom

o

You can scrounge medicine cups from friends and family! they come in all those boxes of liquid cold meds, etc.

I've got these clear mini solo cups, one ounce, nice rolled edge (like drink cups only it's about an inch and a half tall and as wide at the top). Someone left them at my house a couple years ago (one of the kids ex girlfriends) and now I can't find any more ....they are a great size...not as wide as medicine cups and the rolled edge is very nice too. I looked on the web, everything. I think I seen them in big, big bulk on a web site but I need a smaller amount, not $100 worth!

o

I gave up on finding little plastic solo cups after the last time I went looking. I couldn't find them anywhere! I even sent out an SOS to all my friends and coworkers asking where one would find the little cups one might use for jello shots. It was a Tuesday night and they all thought I had a sudden insane urge to get obnoxiously drunk. I didn't care what they thought - in fact, I found it pretty amusing - but I didn't wind up finding any shot cups.

Instead I bought a bunch of 2 1/2" plastic flower pots - the kind used to start seedlings. I think I paid about $4 for 50 or so. I forget exactly. I remember them working out to be about 16 cents each.

They're a little big for babies, but I keep a few babies in each until they get big enough to need their own pot. Then each pot is the perfect size for each plant.

o

If you know anyone who uses Crystal Light powdered drink mix, it comes in individual cups that are a nice small size.
Also some of the fast food places like McDonalds has little plastic containers for you to fill with ketchup that should work. Janice

o

Smart & Final - "the smaller faster warehouse store" =)

No I don't work there I just buy their stuff! You can buy stuff at this store without buying a whole case, which is great. They have a lot of different sizes. I have a varying range from 3/4 oz, 2 oz, 3 oz, 6 oz...you get the picture.

I did find out that you have to look both in the 'drink cup' section and the 'condiments' section to find the biggest range of sizes.

o

• Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 11, 08 at 6:41

If you don't want a bunch of individual "pots" to move, use an egg carton. The lid can be used as a "saucer".

o

Ooo...I like this idea. Thanks, Paul.
~Bunnycat

o

Paul! What a fantastic idea, thank you!

o

African violet growers are the ultimate recyclers!
Regarding the egg cartons, I have seen clear plastic ones that could serve as an "incubation ward" for putting down miniatuare and semi mini leaves - with the hinged plastic lid, it would be easy to raise and lower it to adjust the humidity needs of the "babies"

o

Where the heck do you find plastic egg cartons?
All I ever see (and buy) are like thick cardboard type :-p

o

• Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 08 at 6:13

Glad ya'll found the carton idea useful. I've used it for starting off garden seedlings as well.

m3, while I have seen the cardboard ones, most places around me use stryofoam. Don't recall seeing any with clear plastic tops but sounds quite useful for a "nursery"

o

In my area, the clear egg cartons are used by the 4 grain people. But be careful-once you eat the organically grown eggs, you won't want the others. My favorite is Eggland's Best. Of course, the price is a premium too.

girlsaylor

o

I would gladly buy pricier eggs to get clear plastic cartons. I have one saved with my Easter decorations, just don't remember how I came by it. I've seen Eggland eggs, will have to see if they are sold here in clear cartons. Thanks!
~Bunnycat

o

Look for the 4 grain eggs, Bunnycat.

o

Thnak you, girlsaylor!

o

This place has pots for sale and he is selling them for what he paid for them.

http://vintageviolets-by-twospirit.com/extrapotsforsale.htm

o

Okay the egg carton idea just set off another one for me. Since it's almost easter time and the dollar stores are selling those plastic eggs by the tons. How about getting those, putting a hole in the bottom and sitting them in egg carton? Could even put a hole in the bottom of the carton and sit it on a pan of water to wick.

o

That's an interesting idea! You would have lots of different colors to choose from too. Some of the plastic eggs that my church has gotten even have some holes in the bottom already!
-Jmcat

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 15, 08 at 21:05

Our dollar store has large plastic eggs that sit on their sides. Best of all, the removable top half is clear; I keep thinking what a cute mini terrarium it would make for some smaller humidity-loving Gesneriads. Then I remind myself that I HAVE NO ROOM. Really.

Korina the Kramped

o

How big are those eggs, Korina?
-Jmcat

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 21, 08 at 18:19

Uuuuh, maybe 8" longways?

And yes, I went and got one.

Korina

o

That would be great for a mini terrarium with a gesneriad or some other tiny plant! I might have to see if a store near here has those. Congratulations on overcoming your earlier reservations on space, by the way!
-Jmcat

o

Hi,
Speaking of eggs, a number of years ago a friend gave me a sleeve of about 50 clear plastic Leggs Eggs. I used them as terrariiums for mini Sinningias. To keep them from flopping all over the place, I cut the top off a plaatic 3oz Solo bathroom cup and used it as a stand. The eggs worked well, held in the humidity very well and the plants grew nicely.
Fred in NJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here