Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmushka

Quick wicking question.

Guys,

What would a split 4-ply yarn translate into, in terms of cotton or woolen embroidery thread? -Can- it translate? Also, can one wick from the top, as long as the water container itself is lower than the pot?

(Need to leave the babies alone for 10 days, haven't been able to find a plant sitter that doesn't kill everything they touch as of yet. Going to try and set up a wicking system for them and the pomegranate plant/spider plant..)

Thank you muchly!

Comments (15)

• korina
    15 years ago

Simplest way is to line the bottom of the tub with an acrylic velour blanket, soak the blanket (water only, no fert), stop the tub, and put them all on the blanket. Keep the house in the upper 60s to slow them down (so they don't mind the lack of light so much).

If your plants are not normally wicked, wicking them is a bad idea and will likely encourage rot. I would let them dry for a day or two (depending on pot size) after watering, bag them, and turn all lights off (to slow growth), again keeping room temps down.

Korina

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

HI,
    I agree with Korina, now is not the time to begin to experiment. I wick all my plants and use a very light soiless mix which is required when wicking. If your plants have a mix which is heavier than a 1-1-1 ratio they may rot. It;s hard to tell you what to do because I don't know what your mix is like and how you grow them. I don't know if a wick will work from overhead. If it works with other plants I don't see why it wouldn't work with AVs. Also depending on how many plants you want to do this with might be just as easy to water them your normal way and put them in zip lock bags for ten days.
    Fred in NJ

• frank325
    15 years ago

Since this question seems answered, just want to throw another related one out there. Can anyone tell me exactly what type/brand of wicking material you use, and where you bought it? Anyone have material they've bought at Walmart or something? When I repot my babies I want to set them up for wicking.

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

HI,
    I use acryllic worsted yarn which is 4 ply. I use the cheapest that I can find. Any store like WalMart or Joannes or Michaels has it. I use 4 plies for standard plants and split it in half for minis and semis. After I cut lengths of yarn I scour it with some dish detergent to get any sizing out of it and keep it in a container with water so it doesn't dry out.
    Fred in NJ

• frank325
    15 years ago

Okay. My fear is I'll go somewhere and there will be a bunch of different yarn that are similar to pick from and I'll have no idea what to get!

• hort_lvr_4life
    15 years ago

DON'T buy wool. I also knit/crochet and wool is coated with lanolin, a natural water repelent. Would defeat the purpose. Cotton adn acrylic would be your best bet. If you go to Michael's you can use the 40% off coupon and buy the "Pound of Love" for...all your wicking needs (haha). You'll be able to replace your wicks and add new wicks; it'll be ENDLESS. You'll probably have enough for years.

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Cotton will rot. Acrylic is the best. As long as the yarn is acrylic, the rest is insignificant.

Dora

• frank325
    15 years ago

Okay, I'll use some of this rope then...

{{gwi:361091}}

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Very funny, Frank :)

Dora

PS - Don't quit your day job ;)

• frank325
    15 years ago

Whatever do you mean?? I used that rope, but after putting it in the pot, there was no room for soil, so I just sat the bare-rooted AV on top of the rope. I assume it'll work out just fine.

Can you tell it's been a long day, I wish I *could* quit my day job...

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Ok, Frank,

Whatever floats your boat....

Barbara, did quit her day job, has waaaaaaay too much time on her hands

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Then get yourself some of frank's rope and start unwinding/raveling. That'll keep you busy.

Dora

• nmushka (7; Virginia)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reply. (*Is finally back from the lovely highlands of Virginia*). I do use the 1:1:1 mixture+ african violet fertilizer with every watering.

Ended up splitting the violets: half in an out-of-light spot, and half with cotton wicking. Ironically, they both looked about the same yesterday, except the one in the shady spot actually bloomed.

The cut leaves (sprouting them in a mixture of half-soilless and half-regular potting soil) did get a -bit- too wet from the wicking, but that seemed to just encourage the leaflets sprouting off of them-- each of the leaflets is about a penny in size. :) Guess that means separation and repotting soon!

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Frank325,
    Checking to see if you've got that ship rope wicked yet....probably took you a while, huh?

LOL

Dora

• frank325
    15 years ago

Yep, it's all wicked. It takes up about a gallon of water per day. For some reason my AV is drooping. It must need more water.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio