Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pembroke_gw

has anyone tried this?

pembroke
10 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has ever split the main root stem into halves and repotted having two plants? Just wondering, too much cold time. Be glad when warms up. Pembroke

Comments (17)

• quimoi
    10 years ago

Um, I can't say that I have ever heard of it, but I can't imagine why you'd want to do it that way? It seems like you'd probably get two misshapen plants. Did you have some particular reason in mind? I guess you could try it - once.

I'm doing some strange things myself because it's so cold out and I'm bored though.

Diana

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Pembroke, I'm new to Av's and I'd like to know if its done as another way to propagate. Spring is coming soon!!!

• paul_
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by quimoi z5 PA
    Um, I can't say that I have ever heard of it, but I can't imagine why you'd want to do it that way?

I could see someone trying that if they have a double crown plant. Doing so could potentially result in each half having a root system right off the bat as well as a reservoir of food to draw from while each half recovers. No reason at all that one should expect to wind up with two misshapen plants -- assuming that the stem portions would be buried.

The biggest concern would be fungal or bacterial infections -- but that is no different than when doing leaf cuttings in general. Use a clean blade to make the cut, trim away any dead material, dust lightly with a rooting hormone and/or a bit more heavily with cinnamon. Keep the media barely moist and the plant in a warm bright area (no direct sun). Should be completely "doable". Heck if mine could handle getting chopped down like this:

{{gwi:358965}}

then I don't see why a split would be an issue. (And for those who are curious, I didn't even bother treating the cuts on the plants above with any anti-fungal agent.)

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Yup - you can - but why....you can try eating noodles with one chopstick, make love standing in hammock...

Christine - you can propagate violet from a leaf, from a stem tip cutting or from a sucker, from a flower stem if the leaflets on this stem are large enough, from a slice of a leaf...from a little piece of green tissue if you are doing a meristem propagation. But the more elaborate it gets - the longer it takes and the chance of success is less. I usually do leaves or suckers, and tip cuttings for trailers.

Luckily our beloved plants are really easy to propagate. Think about trying to root a pine branch.

I.

• pembroke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I have Frozen In Time and it's blooms are true to form some of the time. Other times they are Frosty Frolics blooms. So I thought maybe if I cut in half it may go back to Frozen In Time all the time. The one thing I have done is started several leaves of FROZEN IN TIME in hopes one of them will bloom true to form. That's my reason. All comments welcome. And Irina_co have you tried the first part of your reply? Pembroke

• quimoi
    10 years ago

Does half of the plant bloom as one and half the other? I have read that this is a somewhat unstable variety. I intend to find out for myself this spring,

I do stick by the misshapen comment though. Mine were neglected and the worst thing is trying to get them back into shape because they weren't turned. I did have one with a sucker so big that I couldn't tell which was the plant and which was the sucker so I potted both of those (a mini) but that didn't require splitting anything. Yes, you may eventually have two okay plants but it would take longer than by other methods.

Again, I guess you could try it. I'd wait and see what the offspring do though. There's always a risk of losing things when you do something that extreme so I'd try it on a spare.

Diana

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Been searching forum to make a list of consistent blooming whites. J

This post was edited by fortyseven on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 23:27

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Diana,
    You said you intend to find out in the spring ... do you plan to order it?
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Irina,

That hammock thing looks intriguing. If would have to be inside though. It's still too cold for that king of experimenting but I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Christine,

No, this is not a usual way of propagation. But, some of us like to experiment and the longer we suffer from cabin fever the more we want to try something new, different or unusual!

Pembroke,

I have a 'Playful Spectrum' (notoriously unstable) that sported into a solid pink. Irina suggested I take a leaf from the lower leaves that may still have the genetics of the original form. Maybe try to take your leaves from the side that is blooming true (and maybe from the older parts of this side, as well).

I don't think splitting the plant will do much good as everyone else says. You'll end up with a misshapen plant that still has the genetics to go off on its own. Some violets are just unstable and highly affected by their environment.

Linda

• quimoi
    10 years ago

Yes, I got very antsy and put in orders for too many leaves. I believe Frozen in Time is one and I either ordered Frosty Frolic or have it as a sub. Here I likely could have gotten both out of FIT.

I guess you need to watch Lyon's. My Arctic Frost (I have two that I just let go kind of wild) started blooming solid blue. Then I see that Lyon's is selling a sport of Arctic Frost called "Evening Splendor" so I guess that is what it decided to become. Its shelf mate gets stripes. I try to keep one that is normal but the ones from that plant are babies now.

I don't think everyone can accomplish Irina's list ;).

Diana

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Diana, I've never ordered leaves from Lyon's, just plants. Will be interested to hear of your results. Jo

This post was edited by fortyseven on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 23:33

• quimoi
    10 years ago

I don't quite understand your comment about the white african violets. I haven't ordered from Lyon's yet this year, although I have in the past. I do seem to have a fair number of their hybrids though.

White violets have been around for a long time and they didn't turn blue. The ones I've grown stayed white except for one of my mom's that had a pink blush once in awhile. (A double on variegated foliage.) The blue is apparently a peculiarity of these particular hybrids.

Diana

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Diana, that is exactly what I wanted to know, if whites had been around for a long time that stayed consistent. Thanks. Joanne

• quimoi
    10 years ago

All the ones I had mentioned above are white with blue, in case there was any confusion there. The description should mention a pink blush or whatever.

I lost my little NOID which was probably a semi-dbl semimini and am having trouble finding a white to replace it. It didn't blush any other color. Might have been an Anthoflores.

Nancy Leigh is a whopper but I see they mention a pink blush there. I had it and it was nice but I think it wasn't pure white. Angel Fluff looks worth a try (to me anyway).

Diana

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Diana, thanks for the tip.

This post was edited by fortyseven on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 16:26

• pembroke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I believe we kinda got off the subject didn't we?

• quimoi
    10 years ago

Yes, we did and I apologize.

Diana