Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Went to a local violet show

Posted by eahamel 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 9:31

and it was neat. I liked the violets, and was very impressed by another gessie that was in the show, and there were a couple on the sale table, but for some dumb reason I didn't get one. It was Chirita - sinensis 'Hisako', a well-grown specimen. Now I've got to get one from an online store and pay more. Oh, well.

Anyway, I discovered that you can propagate violets by planting bloom stems. If you have a variable one, and there's a bloom you like, and if the bloom stem has two little leaflets below the bloom, that's one that will grow from the stem, and will have only that bloom on it. Amazing, I had no idea!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Went to a local violet show

Glad you got to see a show. I also have Chirita sinensis 'Hisako' and it's a great, if large plant. Very easy to grow. BTW, Chirita as a genus has recently been disbanded and that plant is now Primulina dryas 'Hisako', but the change is very recent and I haven't seen any retailers using the new name. Most people don't know about it.

Mark

o

That's interesting about the change in genus, and because it wasn't entered in the show under the new name. Maybe it will take some time to catch up to the shows.

o
RE: Went to a local violet showLost all my violets in recent ice

I lost all my violets in the recent ice storm we had here in Puyallup, Wa. and we were without power for nearly four days. I had to leave my house as it got like 30 degrees inside the house. Is there a local African Society in the Tacoma or Puyallup area I could purchase vio;ets from or is there someone in the area that would sell some of theres or help me out with info where I can get some. Mine were the pretty ruffled, different colored and I nearly criied when I walked in and saw my violets. Thanks for your help. Carol T

Here is a link that might be useful: Car1932T

o

There will be a african violet show on Sat. Oct. 6, at 9 a.m. at Watson's Greenhouse. They sell violets & other plants that are in that family. There is a A.V. society in Tacoma, and there used to be one is Seattle. Our son lives in Puyallup and loses his power often, but has a generator, as his wife is on life support and needs her oxygen. Good luck on rebuilding your violet family.
Darlene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here