Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
an insect

Posted by Mary246 none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 9:49

Hi
A couple weeks ago I brought home a violet from the grocery store and I have had it in isolation. Last night I was looking at it under a magnifying glass and saw an insect crawling across the surface of the soil. It was skinny and kind of long. It was going about the rate of an ant. I think I remember that I could barely see it when I looked at it without the magnifying glass. It was tan. I squished it.
Do you have any idea what that could be? I didn't see anything thing unusual on or under the leaves or the stem.
Thank you
Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: an insect

Try a search on thrips until someone with more bug expertise comes along.

This link has photos

http://www.reedsgreenhouse.com/bugs.htm

Diana

o

Fungus gnat larvae also comes to my mind but I'd think those would look like worms.

Diana

o

I read that putting a slice of raw peeled potato on the surface of the soil, leaving it for 48 hours will draw fungal larva and other critters. Check underneath and underside. I did that but the dog took the potato slices out of the pots. He was a homeless mutt when he was a pup so he has developed odd tastes and habits.

o

I saw that about the potato (my son had fungus gnats in his rosemary plant). I didn't quite understand it, but then I think the idea is just to draw them out so you can identify them and then treat for them. It's not supposed to cure them.

Animal do some odd things :)

Diana

o

Yes, the potato is to draw the bugs out. There are many types of soil bugs; root aphids, fungus fly larva, springtails to name a few. I have been buying plants for years and never had a bug until now. That is a good recommendation for grocery/hardware store plants but then it made me careless about quarantine and inspection.

o

Mary,

You might want to look up spring-tails as well.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here