Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hankeat

Help with ID please.

hankeat
12 years ago

I am a newbie in Saintpaulia. I like those with variegated foliages. Today I have just bought this plant from a home improvement store, but it is without ID. Does anyone know its ID? Thanks in advance.

{{gwi:361137}}

Comments (8)

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Out of 20000 registered violets... And violets from HD can be unregistered as well...

Call it My Pretty - or whatever you like. You cannot show NOID - but it will grow and bloom for you just the same.

Good Luck
    irina

• snappyguy
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, there are over 10,000 registered varieties with the African Violet Society of America, which is the international registrar for the genus Saintpaulia. Some people estimate the number of unregistered varieties to be between 20,000-30,000. This means a lot of them look very much alike, so much so that they cannot be reliably identified if they did not come with a label. Some companies, like Optimara, will direct you to their site to help ID the plant because all of their plants are named. Even so, it can be difficult. In short, enjoy your plant, but identification really isn't possible.

Mark

• hankeat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the reponds. Last month I bought another NOID variegated AV from the same home improvement store. After googgling online I found the ID. It was Frozen in Time. Probably this one isn't that famous.
    {{gwi:361138}}

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Looks like Frozen in Time to me. You cannot be 100% sure, just 98.5% ;-)) There are not very many variegated white/green stars - but way plenty of variegated purples.

Irina

• hankeat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After googling the term "variegated purple AV" online. I found a cultivar which is very similar to mine. It is Happy Harold. I think I just name mine Happy Harold's Illegitimate Child. :)

• Christine
    12 years ago

I grow a Happy Harold and your NOID definitely resembles his alleged dad! The flowers on Happy Harold are "droppers" that disconnect from the plant when they get old. It'll be interesting if your plant is a dropper, because stores generally don't sell them to the public (the flowers can get shaken off during shipment from the grower and the public doesn't want to buy non-blooming AVs). If it is a dropper, it might be H.H. and your store is buying named unlabeled AVs. You could check with store personnel, who might be able to give you the vendor's name/contact info. The vendor could let you know if the plants were NOIDs or named.

• fawnee0214
    12 years ago

Both are so pretty! Do you have a leaf to spare from either? I'd love to trade. I have an AV with pink variagated foliage called Yul's Paradise. Another unregistered one, I'm afraid... :)

• hankeat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@donna_c: Thanks for the information about H.H. AV. I will wait for the old flowers and leaves to drop. I do found the vendor's name/contact info on the packaging. I visited his website. The information there are very general. They simply put AV.

@fawnee0214: I am afraid I cannot trade leaves with you, because I live in Berlin, Germany.