Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stross_gw

Question about Factors Affecting Bloom Color

Greg
12 years ago

Not too long ago, I added the Russian "Blue Mist" to my small collection. When I purchased it, it had a beautiful bloom that matches the photo of it on Lyndon Lyons' website. It was truly a "Large, double light blue ruffled star, with a white edge." Now, it is blooming again, but it a deep purple/blue, with only hints of white. Nothing at all like it looked when I brought it home.

I learned from this forum that it is temperature, not light or fertilizer, that affects the variegation of leaves. So, my new question, is what factors could contribute to this variation in the color of Blue Mist's blooms? Previously, I had similar issues with "Hiroshige". Blue Mist is 12 inches below the flourescent bulbs, at the end of the tubes, and a bit off to the side; i.e., not directly under the tubes. The room temperature is normal, and he is wick-watered with a DynaGro 7-9-5/epsom salt solution [Thanks, Irina!] Any ideas on what could be causing is dark blue/purple color and what I can do to get him back to "normal"?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH