Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unruly Violet Leaves?

Posted by Tinble none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 25, 11 at 10:33

About a year ago, I rescued an African Violet which had been crawling painfully toward death for some time in the care of my mother. I repotted it, watered it regularly, and it recently rewarded me by producing the first blooms I have ever seen on it. The plant is healthy and flourishing, but there's just one problem.

New leaves have begun to grow everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Many of them are growing in sideways or upside down. I realize this is only a cosmetic issue probably, but their strange positioning is making an otherwise very tame plant look kind of....wacky, and making it difficult for them to push their way past the already existing, mature leaves. Is this normal? If so, is it possible to correct? Will they right themselves? Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unruly Violet Leaves?

Hi Tinble,

To me, it sounds like your violet is growing multi crowns, which is normal for many violets.
These can either be removed by un potting the plant, and by the use of a xacto knife, or any good sharp knife, cutting out these little plantlets. They can also be pinched out as well, but by cutting them out, and potting them up, you will be expanding your collection.

By removing these little plantlets, your violet will not only flower better, the plant will keep a better shape.

o

Here's a video I made showing how to separate these multiple crowns. Click here.

o

Tinble,

I'm actually having the same problem as well. I have a violet that I saved from the deadpile at Lowes. As you can see from the pictures below, the plant definitely has multiple crowns. I'm going to seperate them soon, but I see a blossom. So, I am going to wait to see what the blossom looks like before trying to split it. (I'm a noob and it's still hard for me to recognize a sucker from the growth of a new leaf."

o

woot woot, sucker!
If you pot that up, and put in under a clear dome, or a ziplock, you will have a duplicate plant

o

As fun as it is to propagate plants and increase the size of my collection, I really don't have the space or the means to take care of any more plants. :B

Is any leaf NOT growing directly from the crown of the plant essentially the beginning of a sucker? Because if that's the case, I'll catch them before they get out of control.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here