Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf Cuttings not Flowering True

Posted by dkgresh PA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 10:57

I was given a leaf of Ethel's Reflection. I now have three full grown flowering Ethel's Reflections. But, when I see pictures of this flower, they have pink thumbprints. My Ethel's Reflections have none. They are just white flowers. Pretty white flowers, but just white flowers. Now, I know that chimeras can't be grown from leaves, but is there a problem with thumbprinted flowers also? Is there anything that I can do to get the thumbprints?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf Cuttings not Flowering True

DK -

you can start a new leaf.

For whatever reason all your babies sported. The requirement for AVSA registration - is restart 3 times from leaf from a leaf from a leaf to confirm the stability of a new cultivar. This one is not registered and as you can see - not really repeats well.

If you want to get true color baby from a plant like this - you probably need to put several leaves down and grow more than 3 platlets to bloom to pick the best.

Good Luck

Irina

o

Sounds like a fun experiment....if you have the space!

o

I usually keep 2 strongest babies, may be more if it is a rare variety and I want to share it with club friends or sell on our Show. But if I want to select the best or most typical bloom - I will grow all of them - probably 10 or 12 - and keep them till blooming. The stunted will go to compost, the non-blooming-trues - to my elderly friend who doesn't care what's the name - as long as they bloom - the true bloomers - I will keep one - and sell the rest.

You do not need to grow 100. After it sported to solid color - the plant will not return to a fantasy or thumbprint. But what a nice gift it will make to a friend.

irina

o

This winter I had several AV loose the flower color and change to white. Doubles went to singles. Sported. When it warmed the color returned and so did the doubling. Spoiled brats is what they are. Have fun!!! Paula =^..^=

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here