Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvofroses

Potting soil

luvofroses
15 years ago

The soil I bought at the garden center is a mixture of Canadian sphagnum peat mosses with perlite, wetting agent and slow release humates Is this okay or should i add things, of throw it away and start over? This was recommended but now i wonder.

Ann in So Ut.

Comments (11)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Ann,
    I grow my AV's on wicks and always add equal amounts of coarse vermiculite and coarse perlite to the AV mix that I get from Home Depot.
    Fred in NJ

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Fred. I guess I have some re-potting to do. I have to laugh because all I seem to be doing is re-potting. First into new pots, then found out they were too big, then into correct size but they are terracotta so I looking of either the plastic squatty pots or the solo cups. now I am going to fix my potting mix. I am glad these little guys are forgiving. New ones can be so rough on plants just trying to get it right.
    Thanks again for helping a struggling new one
    Ann So Ut.

• lilypad22
    15 years ago

Over watering is a reason a lot of violets die. That is why we add extra perlite to soil mix (- even if it comes with perlite in it already), it lightens it so the soil mix will hold less water and have more air available to the roots. Some people also use extra vermiculite too, it holds the fertilizers and minerals. So like Fred uses 1/3 of each potting mix and adds 1/3 perlite and 1/3 vermiculite. But getting that extra perlite is most important! tish

• frank325
    15 years ago

IS anyone able to actually buy vermiculite in a big box store?? I've only found it once, and it was at a small greenhouse/nursery. Walmart and other places have perlite, but never vermiculite.

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Try a nursery or garden center. If you can't find it locally, you can order it through many vendors, including Cape Cod Violetry, violets @cape.com.

Barbara

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

Try Lowes. That's where I buy it. HD here has it once in a while.

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

We get the local nursery to get it for us in bulk. The big box stores aren't really into "service and supply" but the smaller nursey loves to help us out. We get in bulk and then mix up huge amounts of the av soil mix (probably 20-25 gallon zip lock bags at a time).

I had to laugh when I read your comment about doing nothing but repotting - you are going to be the resouce for helping othes in repotting and have the most experience of anyone here. LOL :)

I appreciate your sense of humor and yes, violets are forgiving during your learning curve.
    Dora

• lilypad22
    15 years ago

Violets are good with about everything except for too much water.

Vermiculite is seasonal...meaning if stores order it, its is usually in the spring and I think once its sold out they don't reorder. I like to just get the huge paper bags (sometimes plastic now) at a nursery of perlite and vermiculite each ...they are about $20 each and then I don't have to search all over when I run out....and I don't run out now!. I love bulk! tish

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all your input to my soil question. I am now on the prowl for the ingredients. Oure area seems to be lacking in many things but Las Vegas is near so maybe a trip would be in order.
    Ann in So Ut

• hort_lvr_4life
    15 years ago

Just for fun I went to Amazon.com and did a search for "vermiculite coarse" and it popped right up. Perlite is also on there. I have great luck with Amazon.com, but I've never purchased soil material from the site. A lot of the supplies are from nurseries that sell online.

• chrysbiz
    15 years ago

Here's one possibility for those trying to save a buck. I work for a laboratory and we get a LOT of scientific supplies shipped to us from Fisher Scientific. Everything is sent shipped in vermiculite... and fortunately, we are able to reuse all of that vermiculite in our greenhouse. So... although it's a stretch... you might be able to help your "local scientific lab" recycle and get a bunch of vermiculite for free.