Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Opinions please....Picture

Oakley
14 years ago

Okay, here it is, taken without a flash. Comments below.

Ignore how offset the lamp is, I need to get an extension cord.

{{gwi:361280}}

The fluorescent bulb (13w) equals 60w candescent. The distance between the top of the leaves and the base of the bulb is about 11".

It's been on for about 30 minutes and the plant isn't getting warm from the bulb.

1. It gives off more light than appears in the picture. Is this plenty of light?

2. Is the wattage okay?

3. Should I scoot the plant further away from the light, and/or raise the plant up, or even raise the light?

I do have a shorter shade, about an inch or so, but it's tan and I'm thinking it wouldn't give off as much light.

I sure hope this works because I've been wanting something special for this corner since we added the new room.

Critique away! :)

Comments (10)

• robitaillenancy1
    14 years ago

Lovely setting.

The plant needs to be as directly under the light as possible even though it won't look as good.

1. This is not "plenty of light." It is not sufficient to make it bloom once the present blooms have gone.
    2. I can't answer you on the wattage numbers.
    3. I would not push the plant further away. Raising the plant slightly might help it get more light.

I suggest you put your plants in a nice bright window, 10-12 inches from the window. Then when it flowers, put it in the position as in the picture. When flowers fade, put it in a brighter position in a window.

Nancy

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nancy, what if I rotate the plant every day? I read if we put an AF in a bright window that we need to rotate it a quarter every day..maybe every week.

Again, the picture doesn't show the true light, but over a half of the plant gets good light from it.

I might as well experiment with this one plant though. If it starts to reach up, then I'll put it back under my tube.

• Kinder Devonshire
    14 years ago

I have a similar set up, a 100w equivalent fluorescent bulb in a table lamp with violets while waiting for my plant stand. A couple of my noids are blooming fine but my Optimara noids are reaching for the light, lightly blooming. I am agreeing with Nancy, you are going to need more light (I am needing more light...) to make your violet happy.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Kinder! I'm doing a web search trying to find the right lamp to put on the table. I am bound and determined to put a Violet in that spot!

Anyone know of a good grow lamp for a table or desk? The one's I've found so far are getting mixed reviews.

• larry_b
    14 years ago

I agree with Nancy with your set-up. I think you will be disappointed with the results. Are you set on using that lamp or would you consider a table top plant lamp?

I have had my eye on The Intelligent Plant Light for a while. My wife won't let me get it as I would expand pass my light stands. lol I am putting a link to it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Intelligent Plant Light

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Larry, I was looking at that light yesterday and I'm thinking about it. I did find another lamp I'm going to use, it's a desk lamp where the neck bends, kind of a spotlight type style where the shade won't cover a lot of the plant. I'll set it up later and show a picture.

This particular corner gets zero light in the daytime & is begging for an AV. :)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I switched out lamps and this one gives out a lot more light. What do you think? Oh, and the plants aren't getting warm from it either.

Taken without the flash.

{{gwi:361283}}

{{gwi:361284}}

• larry_b
    14 years ago

Hi Oakleyok,

That looks better. What kind of and how strong is the bulb in the lamp? Hopefully a cf bulb. Just curious.

Ultimately the plant will decided if it is going to work. I would say "go for it". The worse that can happen is that the plant stops blooming and starts reaching for the sky.

Larry

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's a 13w CFL, which is the same as the 60w incandescent.

I ended up switching places with the plants and light where the light faces the wall because it was too bright on my eyes when I walked by it. lol.

I'll give it a week or so to see how the plant is doing.

That's a Cigar plant next to it, I read they like fluorescent lighting also, or full sun. I wanted it in my living room since it was in bloom.

Watch me kill the both of them. :)

• larry_b
    14 years ago

Hi,

My only concern is that 60W may be too low. I would say at this point to just see how things work. Like I said before, the plant will tell you. If stops blooming completely, or the leaves start reaching, I would try a 100W equivalent bulb if it will fit the lamp.

I hope it works out for you. It's a nice set-up. I understand the desire to have a nice plant in the interior of the house.

Larry

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone