Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
South FL AV club

Posted by girlsaylorz9a 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 08 at 11:55

Went to last night's meeting in Davie. Met a great group of people. One gal with ornery cats, challenging her efforts to grow anything in a pot in the house. A fellow who has a lazy Himalayan cat (same as I have), that's totally too lazy to bother a potted plant (just like my Simon!), and several other helpful gardeners.

Potting demonstration was very helpful. Repotted my Rainbow's Weeping Elf (mini). Had a second plant in the cup I didn't realize was there when I received it. So now I have two. Had to cut off the blooms (sad!), but as a newbie surprise, I was given a lovely in-bloom standard plant as a welcome. Very pretty! I also took my new mini, Nancy's Doll Face, and shared leaves with whomever wanted one, as much to share, as for insurance in case mine should turn fickle on me. It's a brand new variety, and I got the very first one sold to the public. I'm excited!

Was also invited to attend a local flower show on Saturday. I have an e-mail out to another friend to tag along if she's game. Figure this is a good chance for me to meet people, as I've not had much opportunity to make friends here as yet. Just gotta get thru a little procedure tomorrow, before I commit for sure for Saturday.

Thanks to all for sharing so much knowledge. I felt like I knew enough to absorb the things our club president was showing us last evening.

girlsaylor

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: South FL AV club

I love club meetings. I have three clubs here in Montreal, but don't attend all meetings.

Nacy

o

girlsaylorz,

I'm so glad you enjoyed your meeting. Isn't it great to be able to talk about violets without the other person's face going blank, or looking like they are in a coma?

So, did floridabear ever contact you about going to the meeting? Wonder how those plants of his are doing.......

Barbara

o

Never heard from floridabear, and I was the only newbie at the meeting. I'm tired of following the DH's jobs all over the country, constantly moving, packing, changing addresses, etc. And never getting to settle in and make friends. Making some changes in my life. I'm going to try and find a club or two no matter where we move to, and make friends however I can. Mostly I just stay home and unpack boxes, take care of the house, whatever. Not much living, just being someone's accessory. So I'm making some much-needed changes. Hope I can connect with some good people and potential friends.

Loved the meeting, and learned alot. Looking forward to the next meeting. Supposed to go tomorrow to the flower display at a local state park tomorrow with a couple of friends. Not sure if I'll be able to do so. Depends on how I feel in the AM. Just had a heart cath yesterday and just got home a little bit ago from the hospital.

girlsaylor

o

Girlsaylor -

just do not forget that your DH is your Best Violet - take care of him, fertilize, groom, spray - otherwise he'll feel neglected and stop bloomimg ;-)).

Good luck - and the AV people are the best.

Irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here