Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamaflo_gw

Please critique AVs I just ordered!

MamaFlo
10 years ago

Hi all,
Beginning new again. I've been lurking and reading and want to thank you for all I've already learned. I took the leap and ordered 15 varieties from Jack on Ebay. (taking advantage of the sale and free shipping!)
I was hoping you could look at my list and give me any suggestions on successfully growing these varieties. --beyond the basics, of course. :)
Here's what I ordered:
Irish Glen
Bubble Gum Charm
Austin's Smile
Shazam
Looking Glass
Champagne taste
Austin's Love
Aca's Curious George
Alomo Flame
Rob's Heat Wave
Rob's Dust Storm
Powder Keg
Lollipop Kid
California Victory
Bunny Hop
Any advice or experience with these varieties? Things to look out for or what to expect?
I'm so excited to get these!
Thanks so much!

Comments (16)

• quimoi
    10 years ago

Best of luck with them. I was so sure that I would have tried a lot of them, lol.

I guess I still have a few zillion to go! I guess the only thing to be careful of when restarting is to isolate each order/acquistion, no matter how trusted you think the vendor is. You will save yourself a lot of heartache that way. We all need to be reminded of this from time to time.

I've seen photos of some of them and they look very nice.

Diana

• MamaFlo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Diana! This is my first batch, so no isolation needed---just yet! But the bug has got to me and there's already a long wish list from other suppliers.

will definitely isolate future treasures!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Flo,

Jack is a great seller so your plants will be great. I have 'Austen's Love' and it is a beauty. Mine is about 12'' across and blooms beautifully with no special care.

Linda

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

I've gotten great plants from Jack's too.

I have Austin's Love and Shazam, ... both beautiful vigorous floriferous plants.

I've tried with Powder Keg for awhile now.

I've had more success with "Red Lantern"

• quimoi
    10 years ago

Ah, I had Austen's Love once too. I don't remember it though which doesn't mean much. Now I wish I had reordered it!

Diana

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

MamaFlo,
    Have fun!
    Aegis thanks for the info on on Red Lantern, it is difficult to know which red will perform well. seems to be more trial and error with reds than with other colors, in my experience.
    the reds all tend to look alike in the photos, they don't seem to photograph well.
    joanne

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

The reds are mostly colored similarly, but there are some differences in how the plants grow.

I've found Red Lantern to grow and bloom the best of those I've grown.

Another good bloomer is Secret Rendezvous, a new cultivar from LLG. And there's another new plant called "Hot Spot" which grows and blooms pretty well.

LLG's Red Rocket has great bloom at first, ... but it seems to go a permanent hiatus after awile. Others, though, have had good results with Red Rocket.

Actually, Bob Serbin grew and bloomed well too, but tended to grow upright, rather than flat.

• MamaFlo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the responses! I actually have Hot Spot on my wish list and of course, now I'm going to have to add Red Lantern and Secret Rendevouz.
    Thanks for feeding my addiction!
    MamaFlo

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

I grew Rob's Dust Storm and also Powder Keg from leaf. Both were very slow to get going, but RDS turned out to be worth the wait, it blooms true for me with fantasy and different looking blooms all at the same time, I love this plant. Powder Keg has gorgeous blooms that are really red, but it was also very slow from leaf. I am still evaluating PK since I have only had one bloom cycle, but I love the bloom, it is more spectacular than Lyon's Red Rocket (which I also have).

• azpedsrn
    10 years ago

I had Looking Glass several years ago and it was one of my all-time favorites. I search for it each year at the annual violet show in my area, so far without luck. Sounds like you'll have some beautiful violets soon.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Aegis, Thanks for great photo of Red Lantern and suggestions of other reds and general advice about reds!
    Hi to Perle and Azpedsm, two more for my list!
    Joanne

• summersunlight
    10 years ago

Did you get your plants yet? I actually ended up ordering some of the same plants because of this thread! I'm expecting Austen's Love, Bunny Hop, Looking Glass, and Lollipop Kid. First time I ordered from jack so I hope they will turn out well.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Love your screen name, Summer Sunshine,
    Your order sounds delightful. I have not placed any orders yet. I have been in the process of separating babies that I grew from leaves. I want to get all of those distributed to new homes before I take in too many new ones.
    Joanne

• MamaFlo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My order is going to be delivered today! I'm so excited--it's like Christmas! I'll post a pic of new babies as soon as I can.
    On another note--I received a bunch of leaves to start yesterday from CVViolets on EBAY. All labeled and iin great shape. These were seller's choice and this is what she sent:
    Louisiana Lullaby
    Storm Eye
    King's Ransom
    Rmba Red
    Lilac Fanfare
    Winter Smiles
    Ozio
    Double Jeopardy
    Designer Star
    Beauty Goddess
    Cajun's Royal Knockout
    Carolina Elegant Affair
    Apache Gem
    Tropical Sunset
    Silent Prayer
    Simpler Times

I've had some fun googling to get colors/habits of these with a wide variety of results. Anyone have any experience and can offer some practical advice?
    Thanks!

• susan_kc
    10 years ago

You have several of my wish-list varieties on that list there! I am growing several Cajun's (but not Royal Knockout) and have so far been pleased. They are nice symmetrical plants with beautiful variegation for the most part. Queen's Lace is an exception--it has round, medium green leaves that have been a bit unruly. So it will be interesting to see how Royal Knockout does for you. :) I'm also growing Beauty Goddess and Louisiana Lullaby from leaves right now--I have some little babies that will be ready to separate from Mama leaf soon--so again, it will be nice to see how they do for you! Good luck!

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Mama Flo,
    Looks like a great selection of good performers. I have Simpler Times, Beauty Goddess and Ozio. Simpler Times has a
    very large flower, triple, round, deep blue. It is an older variety, carefree, easy to grow. Its intense shade of blue looks great next to Beauty Goddess, which gives very large two tone fuschia blooms. Both blooms last a long time. BG tends to grow large. It is carefree, easy to
    grow and has a lot of flowers. Ozio is a newer plant for me. Seems a bit more delicate. Blooms are lovely. It gets standard care, nothing unusual. Joanne

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm