Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AV Newbie Success :-)

Posted by moonwolf Z6 Central PA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 12:23

Hi everyone,

I was watering my AV yesterday and noticed two flower buds/stalks appearing. This is a very welcome surprise to me, since I am a sort of AV newbie. I may take the plunge and buy another one lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AV Newbie Success :-)

Its always great to see buds beginning to pop up. They sometimes take a while to open, so be patient!

o

I have plenty of patience since I also grow Hoyas and even when they bloom, the buds take a while to open on those as well. So I'm used to it. Lol

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Hi and congratulations Brad!=D I'm also a newbie, and my first buds took many days to open! Though it probably was due to the cooler temperatures in the winter....=P Anyways, I'm so happy for you cause I can imagine the thrill of getting it to bloom!=D Keep up the great work! And if you feel like, maybe you could share some pictures when they bloom too!XP

o

Yes, pictures would be great. My hoyas have never bloomed !!

o

Brad please email me about your hoyas. Lighting, fertizer, etc. Mine are slow growing and have yet to bloom. Thanks!

o

I love Hoyas too. I have two that haven't bloomed yet but are just waking up from their rest period. I hope to get some blooms this season:)
Hoyas are slow growing and don't grow at all during the cooler months. In the Spring, when they begin to grow, they like a weak water soluble fertilizer monthly or so.
Hoyas are epiphytic; they grow in trees. So they like a light, fast draining mix. They also like to dry between watering.
They like a bit of sun, best in the morning, c afternoon shade.
And finally, Never "dead-head" a Hoya; that "spur" that remains after the flowers fall off will rebloom.

o

Another one hooked...;)

o

Perle de Ore and aviolet6, there is a Hoya forum here on GW (hint hint), and very few of my Hoyas have bloomed for me. They are quite stingy with their blooms, but Hoyas like H. lacunosa (a good beginner Hoya) are quick to bloom than most other species. There are some great nurseries out there that sell them!

Leafhead gave some GREAT Hoya beginner's advice. The previously mentioned H. lacunosa drops the flower spur (called a peduncle) after blooming, which is unusual for Hoyas, but it and a few other species are known to do so.

I hope we helped! Good luck everyone and Happy Hoya and AV Growing!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here