Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
froeschli

Seed pod question...

Karin
10 years ago

I guess I didn't believe the flowers would take, so I pollinated them all...
Go figure. Now I have oodles of seedpods developing.
So the question is: how many should I leave on each plant?
I was thinking about 2 each, but I hate the thought of taking them off. What do you guys think?

Karin

Comments (13)

• lucky123
    10 years ago

I am impressed! I would probably thin but not so low as 2. Maybe 3. If you have multiple plants with seeds you could experiment. Or you could contact a commercial grower or expert at a botanical garden. Interesting problem. You made me remember this is fun. In the end, I bet this is like thinning fruit on a tree or pruning to shape, a personal decision rather than a hard and fast rule.

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been giving this some more thought. Seeing the difference even on one plant, in how some 'berry-up' and others look like nothing is happening, maybe I should just give it a bit more time and then take off the 'runts'...

• lucky123
    10 years ago

I did some research and I found web sites about growing seed pods but not a word about thinning seed pods. You are probably right to wait. There isn't much out there about AV seeds that I could find. Who knows? Maybe you will become the expert!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Personally, I would let them all grow. The weak ones will eventually die off.

There is not a lot of information on seed-set of African violets because it is not a propagation method used very much. I have found hybridizers to be very close-mouthed on their methods as well.

Linda

• lucky123
    10 years ago

That is a very fine photo.. I have admired it at length but the way things are going in my garden if I saw pods on stalks waving around in my plants, I would probably squish or spray. Everything looks like "bug" to me. But it is still a beautiful picture.

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda, it was a thought to leave them all be, but my little Hopi has 8 seed pods so far, yeah, they are tiny, but it seems like a lot.... Besides, how am I ever going to find enough space to grow out that many seeds?
    Lol, should have thought about it before pollinating, but the one was red, the other Geneva, this one fantasy, and then there's the variegated one... Not that I labelled anything - for some reason I thought I could keep track of them :-p
    seen as the parents are NOIDS, it is futile anyways, more a fun project than a hybridizing effort...
    Will wait and see for now though.
    Thanks for the opinions!

Karin

• quimoi
    10 years ago

I recently read something on this but you probably found the same site. It recommended letting them stay on quite awhile so you have some time to think about it.

I don't think you can grow them all, so maybe just a sampling from each one? If you have any notion of what is what, you might just concentrate on one or two. Or maybe start over and keep records :). Just consider this a practice run.

I've heard and seen a reasonable amount of information on hybridizing but didn't copy it down because I didn't intend to do it.

Diana

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do have a reasonable idea of which plants I crossed, but seen as it was more of a test to see if seed pods would take, I guess I was a bit more successful than expected ;-p
    I've learned which plants won't hold on to a seed pod though. Some were a bit surprising. Who would have thought that a single purple variety would put up a fuss, whilst the bicolour frilly double took just fine...
    If they ripen at the same time, I figure I could mix all seeds and plant a fraction, rather than pick and choose...
    Gah, months of waiting till then though...

• quimoi
    10 years ago

Feather got seed pods and I was so glad that I didn't need to worry about doing anything about them, lol. I guess you are right about some "taking" easier than others.

I think hybridizing sounds like it takes a lot of patience mostly.

Diana

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Karin,

You belong to the Toronto AV Society, don't you? Take them in for members to grow out, sell them at the club sale, send all of us a sample.

Personally, I'd love to have some. The mixture idea sounds like a lot of fun!

Linda

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Lucky,

Just a thought-please identify your insects before you squish or spray. There is so much needless pesticides going into our environment and it is affecting the good as well as the harmful insects. I keep bees and it is heart-breaking to open a hive in the spring only to find the entire colony (about 100,000 bees) dead from pesticide poisoning.

Linda, climbing down from my soapbox.

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have to admit, I never went back to the av society. First, I totally forgot (was busy with my business) then I wasn't sure whether I wanted to go again, that first experience was a tad disappointing... Maybe I have to talk a friend into coming along, so I won't be the only noob :-p

But yeah, I am sure I can find some takers :-) not sure about mailing them across the border though...

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Karin
    Suggest you give them another chance. Clubs do want newer members. joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 4:49

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations