Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to African Violets - need help

Posted by beth7happy 9 CtrlFl (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 12:34

It was by accident, I promise! no WAY do I need another plant addiction, but.....please tell me it's not happening!!
This first picture - all the curly leaves followed me home from the store. For a dollar, just looking at the leaves is a bargain!! But...it was over watered and it's still in a plastic growing pot. (this is the first of 4 posts I'll probably do; I don't know how to post multiple pix here).

Should this be repotted immediately? What kind of pot; what kind of soil? Fertilizer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to African Violets - need help

Beautiful curly leaves!!
There looks to be drainage in the bottom of the pot, but you
may want to rule that out as a problem. I wouldn't transplant it if I thought there was shock from overwatering.
Plus a plant that is slightly pot bound blooms better. Your plant still has a little room in there.
It should be watered only when it has dried to the touch and bottom watered to avoid wetting the foliage. About every week is sufficient, but every plant varies by a day or so...
Every third watering, top water, carefully, to wash down accumulated salts.
Roots must never sit in water for more than a few minutes.
Fertilize c liquid fertilizer once a month or so Lightly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here