Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perle_de_or

Strange leaf, Chimera?

perle_de_or
11 years ago

I was hoping someone might know what this very strange leaf means. I hope it is not a disease. This is Golden Rubies. I have never had any leaf like this, it appears to be split down the middle. Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

• irina_co
    11 years ago

It is sporting - nothing wrong with it. Probably will grow out of it.

What problem you have- it is too wet and you give it too much fertilizer - that's why the medium leaf - at 4 o'clock looks icky.

I.

• perle_de_or
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Irina. It was in a bag, I took it out. Maybe it will bloom with an interesting sport bloom. I started using plain water more often too. I'm kind of a newbie, so really appreciate all your posts.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

You will learn fast - I am sure you are already 90% there.

For me - the birthmarks on the leaves usually means it sucks - plant is unstable - and there is a chance it will turn solid color.

Good Luck

irina

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    11 years ago

Perle,
    Keep us posted on what the bloom looks like, okay?

Linda

• perle_de_or
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If it does well and blooms, I will gladly send a picture.
    Blessings.

• variegatednancy1
    11 years ago

The dark spots are Birth Marks. This is caused because red underleaf is expressing itself in spots and bleeding through to the upper leaf. This is natural and there is no cure except to cut off the leaf if it offends.

Birth Marked leaves will produce babies with birth marks. Use leaves from this plant that are not birth marked for reproduction.

Nancy

• ZephyrLily
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Please, help me with this African Violet.
    I adopted it from a friend, because it was in a very bad condition and I felt sorry for it.
    Took it home and did not even dare to re-pot it. Now, as you can see, it has flowers. But the leaves are still white. I have never seen anything like this before, so I'm puzzled.
    The others are doing fine, and have healthy green leaves.
    Why is that white???
    Is it a disease???

Thank you in advance for your help and comments.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

It is called VARIEGATED FOLIAGE - and it is a very desirable. I think your pink variegated plant is very attractive.

They usually grow a bit slower - and bloom someway less - because of the decrease in green tissue with hard working chlorophyll.

Seems that your plan to revive the sad plants did work well. Plants look happy. Your 2 top plants need smaller pots - the rule is 1:3 diameter of the pot to diameter of the rosette - and the soil could have some more perlite to be lighter. But - they are definitely happy and healthy.

Good Job!

irina

• ZephyrLily
    11 years ago

Thank you very much, Irina.
    I am very grateful for your help and advice.

Sounds silly, but I was worried that it has a disease and it will die, because of the lack of green.

It is amazing how much I did not know about them, till now. These forums helped.

Thank you again, Irina

ZephyrLily

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz